WWII DOG TAGS

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

WWII DOG TAGS

Jim Bedard
Jim Bedard

November 3rd, 2010, 8:59 pm #1

I am trying to find replica dog tags or someone who makes them. The thing is is I want CANADAIN World War Two replica's not the new ones. They where made of a leather/cork kind of material or something i am not positive what the where made of but the are not the matal ones. Any help would be great.

Jim

Kent Aist
Kent Aist

November 3rd, 2010, 11:03 pm #2

http://cgi.ebay.com/Repro-WWI-Canadian- ... 43a0f04cae

I never tried them so I don't know how they are.

Steve F
Steve F

November 5th, 2010, 4:13 am #3

I am trying to find replica dog tags or someone who makes them. The thing is is I want CANADAIN World War Two replica's not the new ones. They where made of a leather/cork kind of material or something i am not positive what the where made of but the are not the matal ones. Any help would be great.

Jim
I don't think I've ever seen military issue dog tags before, however, if they are anything like the issue ID tags that the soldiers wore then they were made of a treated fiberboard material. There was a round red tag and a green octagon tag.

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

November 5th, 2010, 12:37 pm #4

I have seen ID Discs for the military, but have yet to locate any Commonwealth military dog identificaton devices.

Anonymous
Anonymous

November 5th, 2010, 6:07 pm #5

"I don't think I've ever seen military issue dog tags before, however, if they are anything like the issue ID tags that the soldiers wore then they were made of a treated fiberboard material"

Vulcanized Asbestos Fibre to give it it's proper name - still used today to make seals for pipes and similar.

Bill A
Bill A

November 5th, 2010, 7:27 pm #6

Would they, because of the asbestos content, be considered a hazardous material today?

Andrew Upton
Andrew Upton

November 6th, 2010, 3:10 am #7

As I was writing that I did try to look it up as I thought it probably was ok, but couldn't find anything conclusive, so didn't want to risk saying so. Unless you ground up your original tags and inhaled deeply you're probably ok...

Jim
Jim

November 9th, 2010, 3:10 am #8

I don't think I've ever seen military issue dog tags before, however, if they are anything like the issue ID tags that the soldiers wore then they were made of a treated fiberboard material. There was a round red tag and a green octagon tag.
Thanks for being a dick!!!!!! You did not answer my question and your being a dick!!!! Everyone knows what i mean when i say dog tags and if you do not then maybe you have never served in the military. For your info i am trying to get replacas of my grandfathers dog tags to frame with some other things(medals, insigneias, and picture) if your even interested look up The Ottawa citizen form today the articale Seven Sons.

Thanks for nothing but pissing me off.

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

November 9th, 2010, 4:06 am #9

Jim:

Although we do get into some pretty heated discussions in this forum, we generally shy away from name calling. For your information, several members of the forum are or have been serving members of the CF.

I am not sure the last time you deployed, but my recent DAG form (from a deployment overseas in October) still uses the term ID Discs.

I read with interest in today's Ottawa Citizen your quest to find out more information on your relatives, and the story of the seven serving brothers was fascinating. That is a family heritage that you can be justly proud of and continue your research. Part of researching though is being able to use the proper terms and terminology, hence the Canadian military term - ID Discs as opposed to the US term 'dog tags'.

Another word of advice, you do not do any justice to your relative, yourself or the CF by wearing medals that you have not been awarded, so you are best to carry your relative's medals in your pocket for the Remembrance Day service and bring them out afterwards in the mess for all to enjoy.

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

November 9th, 2010, 4:29 am #10

Thanks for being a dick!!!!!! You did not answer my question and your being a dick!!!! Everyone knows what i mean when i say dog tags and if you do not then maybe you have never served in the military. For your info i am trying to get replacas of my grandfathers dog tags to frame with some other things(medals, insigneias, and picture) if your even interested look up The Ottawa citizen form today the articale Seven Sons.

Thanks for nothing but pissing me off.
Here is the link to the story in the Ottawa Citizen.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Seven ... story.html