WWII Canadian Reefer Jacket?

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

WWII Canadian Reefer Jacket?

March 22nd, 2011, 3:21 pm #1

Hi guys,
I picked up this jacket as part of a lot and I am not famiiar with it. I thought it might be a jeep coat of some sort but can't find reference to this exact style.
Someone suggested it might be airforce as it says Outer Shell Type C. I can't find any reference to this either.
The closest thing I can find in description is a Reefer/Mackinaw/Jeep coat, but this exact model is not described, nor is there a picture.
From Uniforms of the WWII Tommy by David Gordon:
"The Reefer Jacket was short waterproof coat that was produced in two principle patterns in the UK during the war. Both patterns were produced from a waterproof poplin material that ranged in colour from khaki to olive drab. The front was double breasted with pairs of double buttons and the sleeves had adjustable cuffs with tabs and buttons. Large box pockets with flaps are located at the sides of each hip. The inside of the jacket was lined with drab coloured wool. The earlier pattern featured an adjustable belt at the waist with a series of belt loops to keep it from riding up when seated. A wide shawl collar was also used on this pattern and it provided excellent protection from wind and rain when folded up around the neck. Early examples were faced with wool for warmth. The later pattern was produced without belt loops and the collar had notched lapels and no wool facing."

As you see there are some features that match the early pattern of Reefer jacket and some that don't. The pics in the book and all the online pics I find are of a waist length coat.

Perhaps this is a Canadian variant on the Reefer jacket?

Does anyone know anything about this style of jacket?
Thanks,
Jeff

Last edited by dorosh on March 23rd, 2011, 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Abner Picklewhite
Abner Picklewhite

March 23rd, 2011, 3:54 am #2

Really, there's nothing that says it's military though it very much looks like it. Being dated seems to indicate it might be. Perhaps it's a civy item?

AB

John Cameron
John Cameron

March 23rd, 2011, 2:52 pm #3

Or at the least it is government property. Note the C Broad Arrow stamp on the waist band. Very interesting jacket. In many years of collecting I don't think I've ever come across one. To me it looks like it might be a trials item or made for domestic issue in Canada.

March 23rd, 2011, 9:15 pm #4

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one who has never seen one of these before. I am stumped by this one, so have posted it on several forums and no one has been able to ID it.
How does someone go about finding information on trial items??

March 26th, 2011, 8:00 pm #5

Hi guys,
I picked up this jacket as part of a lot and I am not famiiar with it. I thought it might be a jeep coat of some sort but can't find reference to this exact style.
Someone suggested it might be airforce as it says Outer Shell Type C. I can't find any reference to this either.
The closest thing I can find in description is a Reefer/Mackinaw/Jeep coat, but this exact model is not described, nor is there a picture.
From Uniforms of the WWII Tommy by David Gordon:
"The Reefer Jacket was short waterproof coat that was produced in two principle patterns in the UK during the war. Both patterns were produced from a waterproof poplin material that ranged in colour from khaki to olive drab. The front was double breasted with pairs of double buttons and the sleeves had adjustable cuffs with tabs and buttons. Large box pockets with flaps are located at the sides of each hip. The inside of the jacket was lined with drab coloured wool. The earlier pattern featured an adjustable belt at the waist with a series of belt loops to keep it from riding up when seated. A wide shawl collar was also used on this pattern and it provided excellent protection from wind and rain when folded up around the neck. Early examples were faced with wool for warmth. The later pattern was produced without belt loops and the collar had notched lapels and no wool facing."

As you see there are some features that match the early pattern of Reefer jacket and some that don't. The pics in the book and all the online pics I find are of a waist length coat.

Perhaps this is a Canadian variant on the Reefer jacket?

Does anyone know anything about this style of jacket?
Thanks,
Jeff

Not my expertise at all, but would the figures at left and right be wearing examples of the reefer jacket, belted and unbelted?

RRR officers near Nijmegen

Kevin Lambie
http://www.reginarifles.ca

March 26th, 2011, 10:57 pm #6

Close, but the jackets in your photo are the longer "jeep coats" (not sure of the actual nomenclature).
Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com