WW-I experts- equipment question

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

WW-I experts- equipment question

Monty- Convoymagazine
Monty- Convoymagazine

August 11th, 2008, 10:37 pm #1

picked this backboard up years ago at antique store and have for years asked around about it, but have never recieved a reply. Im very curious as to what it is/what's it's specific purpose was.
For years I presumed it was WW-II but upon closer inspection recently, saw a Brit broadarrow, and very faintly the manufacturers initials and what is possibly 1916 or 1918 date.

There are two hooks each top and bottom, and three on each side, facing inward toward the wearer, plus two other horn-like hooks at the top corners parallel to the board (one is bent)

On the wearers main support straps there are two small D-rings facing upward,

Two other straps are hooked on to the top, while you can see two looped straps with carabinier type snaps on the back.

I have never seen anything like this

check out the photos: scroll down a bit to the backboard

http://www.convoymagazine.com/whatizit.htm

any help 1

August 12th, 2008, 3:03 am #2

Monty,

I am thinking artillery. Are you sure that the dates of the kit are in the latter years of the Great War? You see, in 1928 the War office approached the Mill Equipment Company for a set of web equipment to kit out the Royal Artillery Battery Staff and orders began for it in 1930-31. Where the pouch goes: Imagine that long pouch on the left front brace & a 1919 styled belt. (note: the belt is similar to the 37 pattern belt) The right side would have a pouch similar to a pattern 37 bino pouch. It is unique kit, and therefore not common to find.

Colin

monty
monty

August 13th, 2008, 1:00 pm #3

the dated shoulder belt is very faded but certainly seems to be a thin third digit ie "1", hence 1918 or 1916.

I suppose it is entirely possible that a later design item could make use of lots of earlier webbing left over from WWI

but in any case, lots of hooks, and belts. Im guessing here, but due to thinness of the board, perhaps it was to carry some thing or things that were large but not necessarily real heavy???

Still searching for answers

I will attempt to post better photos shortly

August 14th, 2008, 2:27 am #4

Monty,

After looking at your photos, it looks like the web container can be placed on two heights on the user's belt. You could have it set low on your belt, but if you wanted it higher, the loop at the top is to loop through the wearer's brace to keep it steady to your chest. It looks like the same (or very-very similar) to the Battery-Staff equipment from the early 1930s. (Made by MECo) I will try & scan the photo I have so that you can see just how similar it is. So if your pouch is Great War, then this is just a later version of the same thing. I have seen pouches like the one you have at the shows in the past.

Cheers,
Colin

August 14th, 2008, 2:30 am #5

The belt is more like the Pattern 1919, or Pattern 25 kit. So it is not pattern 37....although it does share certain features.

Monty
Monty

August 16th, 2008, 11:36 am #6

Monty,

After looking at your photos, it looks like the web container can be placed on two heights on the user's belt. You could have it set low on your belt, but if you wanted it higher, the loop at the top is to loop through the wearer's brace to keep it steady to your chest. It looks like the same (or very-very similar) to the Battery-Staff equipment from the early 1930s. (Made by MECo) I will try & scan the photo I have so that you can see just how similar it is. So if your pouch is Great War, then this is just a later version of the same thing. I have seen pouches like the one you have at the shows in the past.

Cheers,
Colin

cool re that pouch: thanks! great photo! ..what would be carried in it?

Im still very curious about the back pack. Will try to get better photos.. seems to be a real mystery!

Gord Crossley
Gord Crossley

September 1st, 2008, 6:47 pm #7

Hi Monty,

Your packboard bears a similarity to this on found in the Google Patents database. Check the link and look at the pictures. Note this was invented by a Canadian, and included a tump line attachment. The original design has brackets for the waterbottle and messtin, but perhaps these were removed to make for a more general purpose item. The hooks on your example could have been used for lashing a load to the packboard.

The patent number is 1334582. You can just go to www.google.ca/patents and enter the number.

The link is here:

http://www.google.ca/patents?id=mjlcAAAAEBAJ&dq=1334582

Cheers,

Gord Crossley

Monty
Monty

September 2nd, 2008, 10:58 am #8

Wow Gord...good search!!.. Yes it does bear some real similarities

Interesting though-IF-one of the straps on mine bears a 1919 stamp (very faint and who knows if its not left over webbing used in a new way), and ARchibald's idea was a 1919 patent, then there seems to be a tad of time conflict especially since the one I have appears like a "MkIII" version, with the style, pads, hooks etc....

This is the closest yet to what it might be however, but golly there must be a definitive answer out there..photo even?

I will try to post better photos. Meanwhile thanks again gord!