What WW1 book would you recommend??

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

What WW1 book would you recommend??

David R. Clark
David R. Clark

November 2nd, 2008, 1:34 pm #1

I am looking for a well-informed book on the involvement of Canadian Soldiers in WW1 [battalions, battles, etc.]

Anything out there that is highly recommended???

Thanks,

D.C->

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

November 2nd, 2008, 1:43 pm #2

Try "The Sharp End" and the most recent "Shock Troops" by Tim Cook or "Shoestring Soldiers" by Andrew Iarocci, all three are exceptionnally good books.

November 2nd, 2008, 3:05 pm #3

I am looking for a well-informed book on the involvement of Canadian Soldiers in WW1 [battalions, battles, etc.]

Thanks,

D.C->
WHEN YOUR NUMBERS UP by Desmond Morton

also

SURVIVING TRENCH WARFARE: TECHNOLOGY AND THE CANADIAN CORPS 1914-1918

The latter is probably the most comprehensive and focuses on weapons and tactics, the former looks at manpower issues but also talks a bit about tactics.

If you are "just" interested in the history (battles and battalions, as you point out), the official history is available for free download online.
Last edited by dorosh on November 2nd, 2008, 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com

Monty
Monty

November 2nd, 2008, 11:03 pm #4

Thanks,

D.C->
Tim Cook in fact has a number of books (a nice guy by the way!)

At the sharp end (vol 1, and I think he's just released or about toe release vol 2

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blog ... fault.aspx

also others to take a look at when you're in the bookstore.

Passchendaele: Canada's triumph and tragedy by Norman Leach

Shoestring soldiers: the first Cdn Division by Andrew Iarocci

and just out Brave Battalion: The remarkable story of the 18th Battalion (Cdn Sctotish)in the First World War by Mark Zuehlke

November 3rd, 2008, 1:40 am #5

See this thread on the CEF site:

http://www.cefresearch.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5532

"If you are looking for Honour Roll, Medal Awardees, etc. or anything new and unique on the Can Scots, save your money. The author doesn't even have seemed to have used any of the numerous 16th Battalion quotes from CBC's Flanders Fields. Only the obvious references e.g. Diaries, Urquhart work, etc. Incidently, the History of the 16th Battalion CEF, 1914-1919 is still available in CD form from The Archives CD Books Project for a modest fee of I believe $30.00."
Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com

John Maybin
John Maybin

November 3rd, 2008, 2:58 am #6

I have to agree with Michael about Brave Battalion. Full disclosure - I was Curator of the Canadian Scottish Regimental Museum for about 8 years. I know the wealth of material that exists on the 16th Bn and was particularly disappointed on the selection of photographs. There are some pictures in the book that you see in practically every Canadian First World War book while the museum holds many pictures never published before.

I am not an author and while I give all credit to Mr. Zuehlke for bringing the subject to light, if you want a better read, go back to the regimental history of the 16th written by Urquhart - a truly monumental work if there ever was one. Urquhart was there, and had first hand knowledge of the events and people of which he wrote. The nominal roll, maps and the details of preparation for battle (down to what equipment the troops were to carry) is worth the high cost of the book.

And a pet peeve I wish all authors would observe: medals and decorations are not won, they are awarded.

Grant Rombough
Grant Rombough

November 3rd, 2008, 7:35 pm #7

Thanks,

D.C->
One treatment of the subject, which is definitely not distorted by the passage of time nor affected by current attitudes .... but which might be said to be a tad "jingoistic", I suppose .... is "Canada's Sons and Great Britain in the World War" (1919, The John G. Winston Co., Toronto), authored by Col. George G. Nasmith, with an introduction by none other than Gen. Sir Arthur W. Currie, who says:

"To me, it seems a good thing that soldiers like Colonel George Nasmith, C.M.G., should record what they themselves have seen on the battlefields of France and Flanders. Because it is almost impossible to recover the spirit of past years, official histories, though correct in fact, often lack the personal touch of the eyewitness. I therefore welcome this work, and confidently recommend it to the Canadian public."

Perhaps not the easiest book to locate, but an Inter-Library Loan request would probably be the way to go .....

Ed Lankin
Ed Lankin

November 22nd, 2008, 2:10 am #8

A few books on the Great War