What is a medal entitlement for a Dieppe KIA

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

What is a medal entitlement for a Dieppe KIA

Geoff
Geoff

September 9th, 2008, 10:07 pm #1

I am trying to figure out the medal entitlement to a KIA for Dieppe. I think it would consist of the 1939-45 Star, the War Medal, CVSM and Defense Medal.

I am a little unsure of the 39-45 star as the criteria states that it was awarded for six months service on active operations for the Army and Navy and two months for active air-crew service. Now was time in England considered active? A Dieppe casualty would have only one day (alive) in France.

Thanks

Andrew Upton
Andrew Upton

September 9th, 2008, 11:21 pm #2

"I am a little unsure of the 39-45 star as the criteria states that it was awarded for six months service on active operations for the Army and Navy and two months for active air-crew service. Now was time in England considered active? A Dieppe casualty would have only one day (alive) in France."

My Medal Yearbook 1999 page 168 for the 39-45 Star states "Any service curtailed by death, injury or capture also qualified". So even though he served only one day in France, he should still have qualified.

Anonymous
Anonymous

September 10th, 2008, 1:21 am #3

Thanks very much.

Geoff