Vehicle formation flag identification

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

Vehicle formation flag identification

Michael Reintjes
Michael Reintjes

March 19th, 2007, 12:31 am #1

Good evening gents....Anyone know anything at all about these flags or pennants?....can find no reference other thatn som photos of vehicles here and there...is there a reference about these obscure items??
Cheers,Mike
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

March 19th, 2007, 12:38 am #2

I know Colin had a bit of info on his website - is the triangular one with the leaf not a division commanders' pennant? Maple Leaf Up might have the goods on some of these.
Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com

Michael Reintjes
Michael Reintjes

March 19th, 2007, 3:38 am #3

Thanks Mike...he has some neat stuff on that site...quite an interesting fellow..I,ll drop him a line as well as the boys over at MLU when I get a chance..thanks again for the heads up...that Blue one with the leaf is most probably 2nd Inf. div. but I just don't understand the significance....Div Commander seems almost unbelievable but you may be right.....I see that Colin has one of Harry Crear's vehicle flags...amazing!

Dave Hiorth
Dave Hiorth

March 19th, 2007, 5:13 pm #4

I have one of General Crear's car flags also. Really nice piece

Joe Costello
Joe Costello

March 19th, 2007, 10:41 pm #5

Good evening gents....Anyone know anything at all about these flags or pennants?....can find no reference other thatn som photos of vehicles here and there...is there a reference about these obscure items??
Cheers,Mike
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
The subject is dealt with in Canadian Army Overseas Technical and Training Bulletin No. 6 dated 30 Aug 1944. I have compared the pictures to the descriptions and have listed the matches. Read as appointment, description and size as published.

Image 1:
Chief of Staff, CMHQ - Flag, motorcar, distinguishing half red, half blue with gold Maple Leaf surrounded by gold annulus centrally place on both sides. 9" x 9"

Image 2:
Brigade Commanders - Pennant, motorcar, distinguishing Blue with gold Maple Leaf centrally place on both sides. 9" x 6"

Image 3:
CRU Group Commander - Pennant, motorcar, distinguishing Dark green with gold Maple Leaf surrounded by gold annulus on both sides and letters of applicable group in the apex on both sides. 9" x 6"

Image 4: (no matching description found)

Image 5: (not an exact match but may give clues. No other descriptions had a solid red swallow tail.)
Divisional Commander - Flag, motorcar, distinguishing Red swallow tail with gold Maple Leaf centrally placed on both sides. 9" x 6"

T&T Bulletin 6 was further modified by No. 8 dated 18 Oct 44, No. 14 dated 27 Jan 45, No. 18 dated 5 May 45. I have copies of all if anyone is interested.

Cheers,

Joe

Michael Reintjes
Michael Reintjes

March 20th, 2007, 10:12 pm #6

Fantastic info..thanks so much...great that someone recorded this info as many I,ve talked don't really understand these at all including myself....could be a subject that deserves publication...Clive??...Hello Clive??

March 23rd, 2007, 3:05 am #7

In fact, I am working on a book on vehicle cam and markings and these flags/pennants would fit in beautifully.
Can you send me hi-res images? Joe, Can I get copies of the documentation? I have a Brit document from early in the war but it doesn't give this level of info.

Michael Reintjes
Michael Reintjes

March 23rd, 2007, 3:27 am #8

Hi Clive...these pennants are small enough for my scanning bed which makes anything up to 1200-1600 DPI...What dpi would you prefer?...as high as possible??...cheers,M,

March 24th, 2007, 12:26 am #9

If the photos are about 5" wide then 300 DPI is fine. If they are smaller then go to 600DPI. Thanks for your support.

Clive

Joe Costello
Joe Costello

March 26th, 2007, 11:13 pm #10

In fact, I am working on a book on vehicle cam and markings and these flags/pennants would fit in beautifully.
Can you send me hi-res images? Joe, Can I get copies of the documentation? I have a Brit document from early in the war but it doesn't give this level of info.
Clive,

I sent you the material but it was a large attachment and I'm not sure it made it through. Did you get my email?