Unofficial Patching in Afghanistan?

Bill A
Bill A

July 12th, 2007, 3:10 pm #1

Mike, If you feel this is out of the focus of the board please lock.

Does anyone have knowledge of any "unoffical" patching being worn in Afghanistan by Canadian contingents? An ebay vendor has listed several patches that he attributes to the Canadian contingent, but I have not heard of or seen any such patching in images from theatre.
Patches include "Crazy 8-s", "Canadian Gunnutz", an OED mixed nationality patch (Cdn, Dutch and Brit?), and a medical services patch which was done in desert colours, one half of the patch the Canadian flag, the other the Red Cross (in desert brown).
Confirmation appreciated.

Dave Hiorth
Dave Hiorth

July 12th, 2007, 3:19 pm #2

I personally did not supply anything like this for Afghanistan. I supplied medical,KMNB and ISAF patches and brassards for same in both tan/desert and in green/tw cadpat. The military types that I have had in did not wear in theatre any of the patches you have mentioned. They may have worn them after but not during there time in theatre and of course not on there uniform. Nice patches though I also saw them on ebay.

Bill A
Bill A

July 12th, 2007, 3:44 pm #3

Should have added, who or what are they attributed to? Eg there are Camp Julien patches, attributed to the base personnel at the camp, and the same for a patch to Camp Mirage. Both of these were apparently worn in theatre.

Ken Joyce
Ken Joyce

July 12th, 2007, 4:23 pm #4

There was a documentary on the Crazy 8's and they did wear what appears to be an in-theater made patch utilizing an eight ball as part of the motif. They wore them while on base but cant remember if they wore them while on those Vietnam style patrols?

Bill A
Bill A

July 12th, 2007, 4:49 pm #5

Ken, Who are the "Crazy 8-s"? I am not familiar with the Canadian order of battle / battalion org as deployed in Af-stan.

Doug Townend
Doug Townend

July 12th, 2007, 6:34 pm #6

Did a Google search and found that Crazy Eights were members of 8 platoon, C Coy, RCR in October 2006. I remember reading newspaper articles about them but did not retain the articles. One pic showed the patch.

Other patches I have seen in press photos are from the various PRT - Provincial Reconstruction Teams - and include:
- a round patch "TF 1-07 Starlight" with the medical caduseus surrounded by stars, all in arid cadpat colours,
- another Medical PRT vertical rectangular patch with just the letters PRT at the top and two lines of Arabic writing on the bottom. All pictures were seen in the Ottawa Citizen and I clipped them for my collection.
Lastly, have seen photoes of a patch in Arabic said to mean 'infidel' that some soldiers reputedly had made I doubt they wore them in combat.

Sorry, I dont have ability to make jpegs.

DT

Mark W. Tonner
Mark W. Tonner

July 12th, 2007, 8:30 pm #7

... that would be 8 Platoon, Charles Company, 1st Battalion, The Royal Canadian Regiment....

Ken Joyce
Ken Joyce

July 12th, 2007, 11:25 pm #8

ntxt

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

July 16th, 2007, 1:45 am #9

Mike, If you feel this is out of the focus of the board please lock.

Does anyone have knowledge of any "unoffical" patching being worn in Afghanistan by Canadian contingents? An ebay vendor has listed several patches that he attributes to the Canadian contingent, but I have not heard of or seen any such patching in images from theatre.
Patches include "Crazy 8-s", "Canadian Gunnutz", an OED mixed nationality patch (Cdn, Dutch and Brit?), and a medical services patch which was done in desert colours, one half of the patch the Canadian flag, the other the Red Cross (in desert brown).
Confirmation appreciated.
Bill, can you e-mail me your mailing address? Thanks.

Bill A
Bill A

July 17th, 2007, 11:55 am #10

Did a Google search and found that Crazy Eights were members of 8 platoon, C Coy, RCR in October 2006. I remember reading newspaper articles about them but did not retain the articles. One pic showed the patch.

Other patches I have seen in press photos are from the various PRT - Provincial Reconstruction Teams - and include:
- a round patch "TF 1-07 Starlight" with the medical caduseus surrounded by stars, all in arid cadpat colours,
- another Medical PRT vertical rectangular patch with just the letters PRT at the top and two lines of Arabic writing on the bottom. All pictures were seen in the Ottawa Citizen and I clipped them for my collection.
Lastly, have seen photoes of a patch in Arabic said to mean 'infidel' that some soldiers reputedly had made I doubt they wore them in combat.

Sorry, I dont have ability to make jpegs.

DT
Thanks for the info Doug. I have searched the DND site and came up with several images of the patches from the Combat Camera Website. There appear to be at least two varieties of the PRT patch. One is as indicated, just the PRT over Arabic, and another variety with what appears to be the Canadian flag and the Afghanistan flag under PRT and over the Arabic script.
The site is well worth some time. http://www.combatcamera.forces.gc.ca/co ... find_e.asp
There are an incredible number of images on the site.