Unknown British Binoculars..........

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

Unknown British Binoculars..........

J.Garnier
J.Garnier

May 15th, 2012, 6:46 pm #1

Good day gentlemen. Any members recognize this pair ofb inoculars.
Jo

Showing a Brit. broad arrow.

Mike Dyer
Mike Dyer

May 17th, 2012, 2:20 pm #2

I beleive these are used by airborne and commando units, they were originally made for bomber coomand pathfinder units to use at night due to their large occular(?) diamater to allow more light in and the yellow lens. I have two pair of these one in bakelite with yellow lens and one in brass with clear lens. I have a picture somewhere of a British PARA officer wearing them. Your leather lens cover is in very good condition.

Dave Hiorth
Dave Hiorth

May 17th, 2012, 10:06 pm #3

The binos you refer to are the light gathering type but are not like this. I am not at work for a few days but I will look it up in a book I have on British binos and give more clarification on this subject. The only reason I am sure on this as I have a set of the airborne type night binos
Dave

J.Garnier
J.Garnier

May 17th, 2012, 11:15 pm #4

I beleive these are used by airborne and commando units, they were originally made for bomber coomand pathfinder units to use at night due to their large occular(?) diamater to allow more light in and the yellow lens. I have two pair of these one in bakelite with yellow lens and one in brass with clear lens. I have a picture somewhere of a British PARA officer wearing them. Your leather lens cover is in very good condition.
Thanks Mike for your help. Is it possible,when you find it,to post the photograph of these binos in use by the airborne forces.?
Cheers
Jo

David Gordon
David Gordon

May 18th, 2012, 12:14 am #5

Shots of the binoculars you are probably thinking of. They are documented in a certain equipment book I use as a reference since it has lots of period photographs.

J.Garnier
J.Garnier

May 18th, 2012, 3:32 pm #6

Good day gentlemen, Finally I received an answer as to the origin of these binos and this is what I got from a knowledgeable collector (name witheld by request).
Nice bino. 2 1/2 x 38 A.P. 12115.Great Britain. It's a military galilean bino of watertight construction. Designed for "combined operations" but possibly developed for life boats etc.Brass bending bar, body made from Bakelite. No manufacturer indicated. This bino came with an oilcloth case. It was made during WW2 in in considerable numbers for combined operations.
There you have it.
Cheers
Jo

Mike
Mike

June 1st, 2012, 6:53 pm #7

Thanks Mike for your help. Is it possible,when you find it,to post the photograph of these binos in use by the airborne forces.?
Cheers
Jo
Whats the name of the book?

David Gordon
David Gordon

June 2nd, 2012, 10:41 pm #8

Equipment of the WWII Tommy

Revised edition came out in July 2010 and has 644 pages.