underwear used by the canadian military

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

underwear used by the canadian military

July 3rd, 2011, 4:38 pm #1

if you all do not mind me asking this (sence it is a question most everyone gets upset about) but what where the types (and colors) of underwear (men and women, bottoms, tops, and bras) had the military issued in the past (namely early 1980s but through out the canadian military history) and what was actualy used by the members of the military?

July 4th, 2011, 3:02 am #2

When I served in the 1960s, I wore whatever I wanted to under the battledress, bush dress, TW, scarlet and dress blue uniforms, as long as I KNEW that I would never be called out to be in PT gear. The PT gear was dark blue shorts, black running shoes, and a white singlet (V-neck short sleeve shirt).

The ridicule of wearing 'personal undergarments' (civvy underwear) was too much to bear.

muddyherb
muddyherb

July 4th, 2011, 6:59 pm #3

if you all do not mind me asking this (sence it is a question most everyone gets upset about) but what where the types (and colors) of underwear (men and women, bottoms, tops, and bras) had the military issued in the past (namely early 1980s but through out the canadian military history) and what was actualy used by the members of the military?
i was in the army from 85-92. in cornwallis we were issued 3 cbt tshirts but had to buy underwear shorts. we also got 2 sets of waffle long johns most got olive drab a few got white. as for underwear shorts we were instructed not to purchase white or light coloured underwear. the canex on base only sold a kind of a lime green any way. in battle school we were instructed we couldn't wear civy underwear and were issued 3 pairs of olive drab boxers. in regiment we could were what ever except for the top. it had to be a cbt tshirt or in winter a long john shirt by that time the white waffle were not around and every one had od.

hope that helps

July 5th, 2011, 3:21 am #4

Thanks and for what i am doing it dose help somewhat. for what i am doing though is collecting a complet set of combat kit gear and work dress uniform kit for a female soldier. outside of what the military issues for underwear, i figured through out the 20th century male soldiers would have warn stuff picked up at the store, but was not sure. than i started thinking someone should do an "undercover" book on military underwear.
if someone could tell me what female soldiers warn under thier combat uniforms back in the mid 1980s that would be cool (when they are out doing combat training or actual field work). if i collected the cadpat it would be no problum figuring out what they have under the uniform being that it is black boy shorts and a black sports bra with an o.d. t-shirt over it; that is unless they go comando or wear male soldiers' briefs and just the t-shirt.

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

July 5th, 2011, 4:20 am #5

A book on military underclothing would be quite revealing.

With a little research you will find that as far as the Canadian Army is concerned, there has been some form of issue military underclothing since at least the Great War. In order to conduct this reasearch you would have to consult stores catalgues and clothing lists to see what items were provided to serving soldiers. You would also have to investigate how people having more disposable income and the availability of commercial underclothing would be reflected in when commercial underclothing as opposed to military issue underclothing would be worn by serving military personnel.

As far as female military personnel are concerned, I know that some items of female underclothing were provided by the military although to what extend I have not researched in any depth. Female personnel may have be compensated for any underclothing that they may have had to provide and again this would have to be researched.

Finding examples of military issue underclothing is a challenge as much of this material was used up and until recently (within the last 25 years or so) rarely if ever saved or collected. Here is an example of US manufactured War Aid Underdrawers for the British Army during the Second World War. Underclothing such as this would have been issued to the Canadian Army in Italy.

I will also point out at this time that I have been pretty vocal with another forum poster about the lack of any capitalization being used in the posts and that running them first through a spell check would help. I have noticed that you seem pretty keen to post and have been writing on topics that have not been touched on in some time. Perhaps I could ask that you employ some capitalization when required and do a bit of a spell check?

Doug Townend
Doug Townend

July 5th, 2011, 9:05 am #6

During WW12 the women were given a quarterly allowance to buy their underwear. In addition, they were issued girdles with garteers attached to hold up their stockings. Once it was decided to send women overseas to the UK and later to Italy and the continent, in the army there was consternation about having to supply women's underwear but bras and knickers were added to the Ordnance catalogue because such items were rationed in the UK. I assume the same situation prevailed in the Navy and Air Force.
(Source: the official history of the Canadian Womens Army Corps)

In the post-war/peacetime military, women in the services were again given a periodic allowance.

DT.

Michael Dorosh
Michael Dorosh

July 5th, 2011, 5:57 pm #7

A book on military underclothing would be quite revealing.

With a little research you will find that as far as the Canadian Army is concerned, there has been some form of issue military underclothing since at least the Great War. In order to conduct this reasearch you would have to consult stores catalgues and clothing lists to see what items were provided to serving soldiers. You would also have to investigate how people having more disposable income and the availability of commercial underclothing would be reflected in when commercial underclothing as opposed to military issue underclothing would be worn by serving military personnel.

As far as female military personnel are concerned, I know that some items of female underclothing were provided by the military although to what extend I have not researched in any depth. Female personnel may have be compensated for any underclothing that they may have had to provide and again this would have to be researched.

Finding examples of military issue underclothing is a challenge as much of this material was used up and until recently (within the last 25 years or so) rarely if ever saved or collected. Here is an example of US manufactured War Aid Underdrawers for the British Army during the Second World War. Underclothing such as this would have been issued to the Canadian Army in Italy.

I will also point out at this time that I have been pretty vocal with another forum poster about the lack of any capitalization being used in the posts and that running them first through a spell check would help. I have noticed that you seem pretty keen to post and have been writing on topics that have not been touched on in some time. Perhaps I could ask that you employ some capitalization when required and do a bit of a spell check?
The Glenbow Museum collection in Calgary had a number of undergaments of various vintages in storage when I visited there about 20 years ago while researching CANUCK, so I'm not convinced the field of study is as desolate as some might think. While I agree there is much work to be done, I would not be positive there is no place to start. Private collectors do tend to hang on to strange things as well. The prime time to start on this is probably past, though, and a "rosetta stone" as far as sources may not exist.

Michael Dorosh
Michael Dorosh

July 5th, 2011, 6:02 pm #8

For what it is worth, when I joined the reserves in 1987, I was issued cotton boxer shorts - which I never wore - and cotton "waffle" long john bottoms and tops. PT gear at that time was green running shoes (they later changed to grey), dark (CF) green PT shorts, and white t-shirts with rifle green trim.

On my basic training, we were permitted to wear any kind of underwear we wanted - it was a weekend course - and PT gear could be civilian purchased stuff also. The aim was to be safe, not look uniform, particularly as far as shoes went.

I understood from talking to some fellows that went to the Regular Force that individual units there were more strict about non-regulation clothing. This is all dependent on element, environment, nature of employment, etc. and is a broad topic.

I still have my army issue boxer shorts in a box in the basement. The army will not ask for them back because they cannot reissue them. Perhaps someday the Glenbow Museum will like them for their collection...

tracyoneal16
tracyoneal16

July 6th, 2011, 1:55 am #9

i have seen a pair of thoughs green running shoes and have been looking for a pair ever sence. thoughs and the o.d. "summer" combat caps from the mid to late 1950s are the 2 hardest things to find and still looking for. i have several pairs of the old gym shorts from the mid 1970s that a local friend gave me and have seen several photographs from the mid 1980s of soldiers doing pt and wearing the shorts with the combat t-shirts, and pair of white runners.

July 6th, 2011, 2:23 am #10

I'd consider parting with my green PT shoes - hardly worn - for the cost of, say, a mortgage payment or two. Sounds like a seller's market.
Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com