Trivia Quiz for the day - Going Map

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

Trivia Quiz for the day - Going Map

May 20th, 2010, 9:23 pm #1

Was in the regimental archives today, and noticed some 1944 maps of a type I'd never seen before.

You may be familiar with the Defence Overprint maps in 1:25,000 that had the various German positions printed on them.

Anyone want to tell the class what a "Going Map" is?

Neatest thing I ever saw.

Our archives had a copy of Caen, second edition, March 1944 1:25,000, both the Defence Overprint edition, and the Going Map edition. The Def Overprint is for 6 Aug 1944, Operation TOTALIZE. I grabbed scans of a portion of the map; I'll post images after someone posts the answer. I'd never heard of these before.
Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com

John Sliz
John Sliz

May 20th, 2010, 9:51 pm #2

By going does the author mean attack?

May 20th, 2010, 10:33 pm #3

No.
Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com

May 20th, 2010, 11:01 pm #4

A map of the latrine area, as in "I have to 'go' real bad"?

May 20th, 2010, 11:02 pm #5

Don't bother, Michael, I know it doesn't dignify a response ...

MarioP
MarioP

May 21st, 2010, 2:04 am #6

Was in the regimental archives today, and noticed some 1944 maps of a type I'd never seen before.

You may be familiar with the Defence Overprint maps in 1:25,000 that had the various German positions printed on them.

Our archives had a copy of Caen, second edition, March 1944 1:25,000, both the Defence Overprint edition, and the Going Map edition. The Def Overprint is for 6 Aug 1944, Operation TOTALIZE. I grabbed scans of a portion of the map; I'll post images after someone posts the answer. I'd never heard of these before.
Detailed mad showing terrain.....and indicating speed that can be maintained by certain vehicles....

M

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

May 21st, 2010, 9:57 am #7

Yes, these are maps that show cross country movement, usually for certain vehicles. To compile the map you need to know the soil and weather conditions as well as the type of vehicle to cross the specific piece of terrain. As well, the map is for the movement of formations across the battlespace and not individual vehicles.

Today this type of map is called a Cross Country Movement map.

May 21st, 2010, 12:39 pm #8

Here's a comparison of both the Defence Overprint version of the Caen map, and then the "Going Map", both done on the same terrain map

And this is the terrain key:

Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com

Clive
Clive

May 21st, 2010, 4:45 pm #9

A map of the latrine area, as in "I have to 'go' real bad"?
A detailed map of ablution facilities - highlighted with permaent facilities, Johnny-on-the-spots and field latrines. Special symbols to denote one-holer, two-holer, etc... Additional symbols would describe availibility of toilet paper and, for the Staff Officers, whether or ot there is a washroom attendant on site.

May 21st, 2010, 10:55 pm #10

Here's a comparison of both the Defence Overprint version of the Caen map, and then the "Going Map", both done on the same terrain map

And this is the terrain key:

Thanks to you, Michael (and Mario and Ed), I am feeling a little smarter today. At my age, you have to savour those when they come along ...