Toronto Armouries

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

Toronto Armouries

John Sliz
John Sliz

January 17th, 2018, 3:48 pm #1

Our Mayor here in Toronto is under pressure to open up the armouries to the homeless. My first thought is: aren't the armouries Federal property and come under the control of the military so it isn't his choice?

So, if that is the case wouldn't it be up to the commander to open the doors or not? The one that they keep showing on the news is Moss Park, which I have been in. In there they have all kinds of lovely weapons, like howitzers that are ready to fire (Oh, I would love to borrow one for the weekend, but that is another topic altogether). To me, the homeless and weapons aren't a good combination. Of course, the base would have to block them off, but should they ignore their original duties to open their doors? I know that they would open their doors if a disaster struck, but I think that this is a different issue. Has anyone served there? Thoughts?

January 17th, 2018, 6:00 pm #2

Sounds pretty hair-brained to me, particularly if the armouries have active units in them. Would the city then be providing security for the ammunition and weapons lock-ups? Ops cell, orderly room, etc., all have restricted information in their workplaces.

On a positive note, the presence of civvies will sharpen up the staff's security - easy to leave doors open and info laying around if you think only soldiers are in the building.
Last edited by dorosh on January 17th, 2018, 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com

Anonymous
Anonymous

January 17th, 2018, 9:00 pm #3

Our Mayor here in Toronto is under pressure to open up the armouries to the homeless. My first thought is: aren't the armouries Federal property and come under the control of the military so it isn't his choice?

So, if that is the case wouldn't it be up to the commander to open the doors or not? The one that they keep showing on the news is Moss Park, which I have been in. In there they have all kinds of lovely weapons, like howitzers that are ready to fire (Oh, I would love to borrow one for the weekend, but that is another topic altogether). To me, the homeless and weapons aren't a good combination. Of course, the base would have to block them off, but should they ignore their original duties to open their doors? I know that they would open their doors if a disaster struck, but I think that this is a different issue. Has anyone served there? Thoughts?
What ?? No Community Centers or Arenas in Toronto to take in the homeless, not Torys call to make but being a pal of JT expect anything.