Thoughts on the Nanton Lancaster Society Air Museum

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

Thoughts on the Nanton Lancaster Society Air Museum

September 17th, 2008, 3:46 am #1

I passed through the Yukon, BC and Alberta on a recent PCS move from Alaska and passed through Calgary and Nanton. I had seen brochures on Nanton from further North, however by the time my family and I arrived in Nanton the museum was closed as was most of the town. I took a very brief moment to snoop around (which probably looked highly suspicious for 2 AM) and thought I could make out the outline of the Lancaster in its current abode. Has anyone been to the museum and have any thoughts on the exhibit? Perhaps in the next couple of summers I could convince the wife to make another trip and swing by Nanton for an actual visit. Thanks for the input!

Very Respectfully,

Ted Behncke

"Kenny, I think we're getting shot at. I think it's time we get off this roof."

September 17th, 2008, 3:57 am #2

I have not been to Nanton in a couple of years, but from what I recall, the museum is clean, staffed by friendly volunteers, and has a number of informative exhibits ranging from VC awardees of the RCAF to a very good Great Escape display, and of course the centrepiece, the Lancaster itself, which is open to the public to clamber inside of, and walk underneath to inspect the bomb-bay. I don't recall there being a lot of "interpretive" stuff in the interactive sense (i.e. games, videos, etc.) but I may be mis-remembering and it has been some time since I've been there, but I do recall there being quite a bit more than just the Lancaster itself, and the static displays were quite good - I recall a wall panel or two on the development of the RAF roundel, for example, and another on Ian Bazalgette, VC, etc.

If you're actually in Nanton during a period the museum is open, definitely worth a look - and the antique mall is also worthwhile if the better half is interested in such things - sort of a museum in itself, really, and free at that.
Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com

Grant Rombough
Grant Rombough

September 17th, 2008, 4:21 am #3

Some months ago, my wife's sister dragged her husband to Nanton to do the antique shops - but in passing the museum, he saw that the Lancaster was out of the hanger and there was activity around it. So he dropped his wife off for shopping and rushed back. The occasion was the completion of restoration of one of engines, which they were running up for the first time. They made quite a ceremony of it, I understand, with a veteran Lanc pilot on hand to do the honours ....

The engine wouldn't run at first, and inspection revealed a pinched fuel line, which they apparently replaced while everyone stood by, then it fired beautifully.

September 17th, 2008, 4:22 am #4

I have not been to Nanton in a couple of years, but from what I recall, the museum is clean, staffed by friendly volunteers, and has a number of informative exhibits ranging from VC awardees of the RCAF to a very good Great Escape display, and of course the centrepiece, the Lancaster itself, which is open to the public to clamber inside of, and walk underneath to inspect the bomb-bay. I don't recall there being a lot of "interpretive" stuff in the interactive sense (i.e. games, videos, etc.) but I may be mis-remembering and it has been some time since I've been there, but I do recall there being quite a bit more than just the Lancaster itself, and the static displays were quite good - I recall a wall panel or two on the development of the RAF roundel, for example, and another on Ian Bazalgette, VC, etc.

If you're actually in Nanton during a period the museum is open, definitely worth a look - and the antique mall is also worthwhile if the better half is interested in such things - sort of a museum in itself, really, and free at that.
We seemed to see a vast swath of Canada in the evening and missed out on a great many places and we will have to set aside a little more time in the travel schedule the next time we make the trip. About the only thing we managed to see during our trip in a similar vein was the WWII-era hangar at Watson Lake on our way down the Alcan. I have not seen an intact hangar of its kind in some time, so it was worth the additional 15 minutes, although I think I may have been the only one in the car to think so at the time. The museum does sound as if it would have been worth the visit and maybe we will make the trip back over the next couple of summers, any future deployments not withstanding.

Very Respectfully,

Ted Behncke

John Sliz
John Sliz

September 17th, 2008, 2:15 pm #5

My wife and I were in the area a couple years ago and we made a point of seeing the museum. The best part for us was to be able to go right inside a Lancaster. Well worth the time.
So been there, done that and I even got the t-shirt, which are for sale btw.