Tartan rank slides - 1960s?

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

Tartan rank slides - 1960s?

Oz in Germany
Oz in Germany

June 4th, 2009, 7:40 am #1

Hello

I have seen a photograph from the Sentinel of an officer from one of the Scottish regiments wearing a light shirt with slipon epaulettes of tartan, with rank attached. I believe it was during the 1960s.
Was this a common practice amongst the Scots, or were distinctive slides also used by other units, or was it simply a 'one off'?
If other units did use this item of clothing can anyone help with colours or patterns employed?
Many thanks.

Oz

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

June 4th, 2009, 9:14 am #2

Any clue as to which edition of Sentinel the photograph was in?

Bill A
Bill A

June 4th, 2009, 3:40 pm #3

Hi, I am not sure how common the practice was, but some Canadian Scots regiments did wear regimental tartan shoulder boards. IIRC, the practice was usually only officers, but the senior NCO's may have as well. (Thinking the RSM on this comment.)
I have seen Black Watch and Lorne Scots shoulder boards with rank for this period. The boards/slip-ons were for shirt sleeve orders of dress and maybe on bush jackets.

Oz
Oz

June 5th, 2009, 12:07 pm #4

Any clue as to which edition of Sentinel the photograph was in?
No, sorry, its a photocopying from a magazine I looked at years ago

Oz
Oz

June 5th, 2009, 12:08 pm #5

Hi, I am not sure how common the practice was, but some Canadian Scots regiments did wear regimental tartan shoulder boards. IIRC, the practice was usually only officers, but the senior NCO's may have as well. (Thinking the RSM on this comment.)
I have seen Black Watch and Lorne Scots shoulder boards with rank for this period. The boards/slip-ons were for shirt sleeve orders of dress and maybe on bush jackets.
What's IIRC?

Bill A
Bill A

June 5th, 2009, 4:32 pm #6

No, sorry, its a photocopying from a magazine I looked at years ago

Michael Johnson
Michael Johnson

June 5th, 2009, 7:02 pm #7

I have or had a pair of these in the Lorne's regimental tartan. They were backed with khaki drill material, and meant to go through a shoulder loop.

I'll try to get a pic if I still have them.

Michael Johnson
Michael Johnson

June 24th, 2009, 4:50 pm #8

Nope, they're gone. I'll poke around in my picure folders and see if I still have a picture.

Christopher Furlotte
Christopher Furlotte

June 26th, 2009, 4:38 am #9

Here's a few examples of what the British Army tartan rank slides etc,. Oddly enough, had no idea of the Canadian Army even wore them!?

http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-BLACK-WATCH-PI ... otohosting

http://www.militaryimages.net/photopost ... hoto/31999

Chris

June 26th, 2009, 4:55 am #10

The use of the word "rare" in the subject header of an ebay listing is probably a hint that the item was never actually worn...

I honestly don't know one way or another, but based solely on the way the auction is written, this looks like a "fantasy" item to me.
Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com