Sten "Part kits"

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

Sten "Part kits"

Nicolas
Nicolas

February 23rd, 2010, 10:53 am #1

Hello to all,

Im searching for informations about Sten Part kits, need some explanations

What does it extacly mean for someone living in France who could be interested in buying one MKII

Are those made with real parts ? does it need many tools to put it together ? it is possible to have one that can not fire at all anything ?

Finaly, is it considered as a toy so i can have one import to France in order to complete my Canuck mannequin

Thanks for your help

Nicolas
Nicolas

February 23rd, 2010, 11:05 am #2

If someone has one to sell, i already have the T stock for it

I'm searching for a MKII or MKIII one (maybe an imcomplete one)

Thanks

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

February 23rd, 2010, 5:43 pm #3

Hello to all,

Im searching for informations about Sten Part kits, need some explanations

What does it extacly mean for someone living in France who could be interested in buying one MKII

Are those made with real parts ? does it need many tools to put it together ? it is possible to have one that can not fire at all anything ?

Finaly, is it considered as a toy so i can have one import to France in order to complete my Canuck mannequin

Thanks for your help
Nicolas:

I think you might want to talk with French customs officials about the imporatation of Sten parts rather than getting your advice from Canadians on an internet forum. Anyway, why not be a deactived Sten in Europe, from what I have observed in my travels and from what I read in enthusiast magazines like Militaria, there is a good selection of WWII vintage firearms for sale in your part of the world.

Nicolas
Nicolas

February 23rd, 2010, 8:18 pm #4

Thanks for your answer

- first of all my request was for knowing what the Kit parts means

- then kits are much more cheaper than a deactivated one we could find in France

Thanks

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

February 23rd, 2010, 9:26 pm #5

They may be cheaper, but just be careful as you do not want to run into any customs trouble with your purchase.

Nicolas
Nicolas

February 23rd, 2010, 9:47 pm #6

you're fully right !

As i'm not a weapon fan, just an empty main body would be good enough for me. This way no troubles with the customs

Anyway, it's for display purpose on a mannequin ...

Clive
Clive

February 24th, 2010, 12:16 am #7

These are commonly available on e-bay (or were a few years ago). In the US it is the receiver tube which is controlled while in Canada it is the receiver ring - the part that accepts the magazine. Importing or exporting these to/from Canada is a criminal offence.
FYI,
Clive

Rick R.
Rick R.

February 24th, 2010, 4:08 am #8

Likewise, many European countries don't regulate the receiver -- they regulate the pressure bearing parts (which in this case is the barrel).

I can't even begin to advise you on French gun or import laws.

Nicolas
Nicolas

February 24th, 2010, 9:17 am #9

Thanks all for your answers