South Saskatchewan Regt. in the UK 1942

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

South Saskatchewan Regt. in the UK 1942

June 28th, 2007, 9:34 pm #1

Hi,
I wonder if anyone out there can help me.
I've seen a photo taken in Fenny Stratford, Buckinghamshire UK dated 1942, which shows elements of what my research leads me to believe is the South Saskatchewan Regt. I've placed the photo on the SSR website and it can be viewed here: http://cap.estevan.sk.ca/SSR/Photos/redman/.
What I'm trying to find out is what they were doing there and where they were going from/to.
A friend of mine was informed that there was a Canadian army camp about 3 miles away from the site of the photo, but his source didn't know or couldn't remember the units stationed there; he was a 9 year old evacuee at the time and it was a long time age!
TiA,
Geggy
PS
I can't place the photo here as it is not in my possession, and the owner is on holiday.

RussBenneweis
RussBenneweis

June 29th, 2007, 12:05 am #2

Hello: I have the WWII War Diaries for the SSR's and will gladly check this out when I have a spare moment.
Russ
P.S. The month in 1942 would be a big help!

June 29th, 2007, 5:09 am #3

Hi Russ,
Thanks for that. Unfortunately, the only date on the photo is 1942-no month. As you can see the photo appears to have been taken at dawn, but if the second photo was taken on the same day, (which, I must admit I'm assuming), I'd guess that it was May-August or maybe early Sept.
The photo itself came from a house clearance, (the owner had died), so we can't check there.
Geggy

June 29th, 2007, 12:32 pm #4

Quite possibly the battalion never stopped in the location you're discussing. Unless I'm reading things wrong, you've got two snapshots of a handful of battalion vehicles stopped, taken at a date unknown. In early 1942, the 2nd Canadian Division was moving around a lot; under a new divisional commander, the division was moving from its role of coastal defence and beginning to prepare for its role in the invasion of Europe.

Exercises included BEAVER II in February, BEAVER III in April and BEAVER IV in May. While these all aimed at gauging the the ability of the division to repel an enemy invasion of Britain, Exercise TIGER from 19 to 30 May was a huge exercise (only slightly smaller than the record setting BUMPER) and involved movements of up to 250 miles on foot for some units.

A convoy of vehicles could represent an advance party or echelon party during any of these exercises and simply represent a unit "passing through" and therefore not be especially significant. The division was moving a lot. Or, it's possible the unit deployed there but surely Greg Salmers - the webmaster of the SSR site - has checked the battalion's war diary for you already to advise you of that possibility.

The division moved to the south coast again to train for RUTTER and then JUBILEE (the first Dieppe raid, cancelled in July, and remounted in August), and then the division settled down to absorb replacements and start over; the rest of the year was spent doing individual training and small-level unit training.
Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

June 29th, 2007, 8:13 pm #5

Hi,
I've seen a photo taken in Fenny Stratford, Buckinghamshire UK dated 1942, which shows elements of what my research leads me to believe is the South Saskatchewan Regt. I've placed the photo on the SSR website and it can be viewed here: http://cap.estevan.sk.ca/SSR/Photos/redman/.
What I'm trying to find out is what they were doing there and where they were going from/to.
A friend of mine was informed that there was a Canadian army camp about 3 miles away from the site of the photo, but his source didn't know or couldn't remember the units stationed there; he was a 9 year old evacuee at the time and it was a long time age!
TiA,
Geggy
PS
I can't place the photo here as it is not in my possession, and the owner is on holiday.
The photographs look like they were taken during an exercise rather than the unit moving to embark for Dieppe, especially since the vehicles were not taken on the raid.

July 8th, 2007, 8:44 pm #6

Quite possibly the battalion never stopped in the location you're discussing. Unless I'm reading things wrong, you've got two snapshots of a handful of battalion vehicles stopped, taken at a date unknown. In early 1942, the 2nd Canadian Division was moving around a lot; under a new divisional commander, the division was moving from its role of coastal defence and beginning to prepare for its role in the invasion of Europe.

Exercises included BEAVER II in February, BEAVER III in April and BEAVER IV in May. While these all aimed at gauging the the ability of the division to repel an enemy invasion of Britain, Exercise TIGER from 19 to 30 May was a huge exercise (only slightly smaller than the record setting BUMPER) and involved movements of up to 250 miles on foot for some units.

A convoy of vehicles could represent an advance party or echelon party during any of these exercises and simply represent a unit "passing through" and therefore not be especially significant. The division was moving a lot. Or, it's possible the unit deployed there but surely Greg Salmers - the webmaster of the SSR site - has checked the battalion's war diary for you already to advise you of that possibility.

The division moved to the south coast again to train for RUTTER and then JUBILEE (the first Dieppe raid, cancelled in July, and remounted in August), and then the division settled down to absorb replacements and start over; the rest of the year was spent doing individual training and small-level unit training.
Hi,
Sorry for the delay in replying but I've just come back from holiday.
I've looked at these exercises,and none seem to have touched on the Bletchley-Milton Keynes area, or even Buckinghamshire. I have been in touch with Greg Salmers and he asked around the veterans if they remembered anything; I had a couple of replies mentioning the same exercises as yourself.
I actually felt, that a likely candidate was exercise Spartan, as this took place around this area and, "General McNaughton's armour was mainly on his left flank, where it carried out a wide outflanking march through the area about Cirencester and Towcester.", (this from CMHQ 092 A-10), except this took place in March 1943, although of course the date on the photo could be wrong. BTW, Towcester is only about 16 miles away from where the photo was taken.

I might be over-estimating the importance of the photo, but I was asked to research it and it is local history, (I live 1/2 a mile from where the photo was taken); it would be good if I could find out what they were doing here, even if only passing through.
Greg

July 8th, 2007, 8:46 pm #7

The photographs look like they were taken during an exercise rather than the unit moving to embark for Dieppe, especially since the vehicles were not taken on the raid.
Thats what I thought too. But I mentioned it because of the date.
Greg

Mark W. Tonner
Mark W. Tonner

July 10th, 2007, 3:47 pm #8

Hi,
TiA,
Geggy
PS
Hi Greg;

I would suggest that this photo:

[/IMG]

was taken during the Home Forces Exercise 'BUMPER' - which took place from 29 September to 3 October 1941, during which Fenny Stratford, Buckinghamshire, fell within the exercise area.

Some points on Exercise 'BUMPER':

28 Sep - British V Corps occupies the line FENNY STRATFORD -LUTON - ST ALBANS
29 Sep - 2 Cdn Div was taken from Cdn Corps and ordered into Army Reserve in a concentration area between THAME and WALLINGFORD
30 Sep - 2 Cdn Div placed under command of British V Corps

This is the only exercise that I can find that was held in the UK, that puts the 2 Cdn Div (along with the SSR) in the Fenny Stratford area.

As you yourself suggested, I also believe that the date of '1942' is wrong for this photo, and that in fact, it was taken during Exercise 'BUMPER' in Sep/Oct 1941. I also agree with what Ed Storey suggested earlier, the "photographs look like they were taken during an exercise".

I hope this helps.

Cheers

Mark

Gord Pringle
Gord Pringle

July 10th, 2007, 5:32 pm #9

Jeep MBs(slat grills which they appear to be)production started Nov 1941. Canada bought slat grilled MBs under CDLV 241 and 242 and would have recieved them early 1942. Can the jeeps be brought into closer for more details

GP
GP

July 10th, 2007, 6:02 pm #10

If anyone knows when the unit in question stopped using the 8-CWT truck that may help dating the picture by month. All I can add is its not from the fall of 1941.