Simple and effective

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

Simple and effective

James Pringle
James Pringle

November 14th, 2008, 2:15 am #1

What a great commercial from the Royal Canadian Mints 90th Anniversary for the end of the first world war, made the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

November 15th, 2008, 6:56 am #2

It's just too bad that the rifleman depicted in the spot is holding his SMLE left handed. Oh well....

Here's a the link for it online: http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=pJctzkxFd08

Steve F
Steve F

November 15th, 2008, 8:13 am #3

Ya, it's always something isn't it.... in a way it sucks to know so much about this stuff that almost every movie, commercial, add that depicts a first or second world war event has an obvious error.... most people don't notice this type of thing and I wonder if it really would make a difference if they did... ahhh, the curse of knowledge...

November 15th, 2008, 2:30 pm #4

For me, it seemed like an obvious blooper was borrowed (like the entire concept was, really) from the opening scenes of Saving Private Ryan - the sound of bullets hitting the metal landing craft. Kind of out of place but maybe it was intended to be the sound of a bullet hitting his helmet.

I guess SPR was so powerful that anything after that movie is simply going to seem derivative now. Says a lot for what Spielberg accomplished.
Last edited by dorosh on November 15th, 2008, 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com

Colin S
Colin S

November 15th, 2008, 4:01 pm #5

Yes I agree about the sound fx,

When I was listening to the audio, I thought of Saving Private Ryan (SPR) immediately as well and about how the sound designer treated things. Being someone who works in this line of work I thought it was still well done & mixed however it was not creating anything new. It was merely copying the style of SPR. Yes, I agree that metal "thunk" sounded like it was the same sound file lifted right out of SPR, which I think is a shame. It is a shame because if you & I noticed it Mike as well, then others will have also. So from a production standpoint, we are reminded of SPR & are not being completely engrossed and focussed on the message that the Royal Canadian Mint (RCM) wants to say. I would want the viewer to watch & listen to the spot without any association to anything else, so that the message for the RCM can stand all by itself. So as an audio engineer myself, I would have done things differently from a creative standpoint.

The explosion fx I liked, which added some realism there. Gone are the days when we would see countless flashy petrol explosions in the 70s & 80 period films! The compressed air puff explosions really do look good when you add the sound FX of the explosion in post-production.

Lastly, a lot of it boils down to budget & time, so with these limitations, there are bound to be faults to be found...and we are all ones to pick up on them! - Just look at the Paschendaele thread!

-Please note that my comments are coming from a person in the business, so if these comments are too detailed, and nitty-gritty to you, please don't criticize them and please keep you opinions to yourself.-

Kind Regards,
Colin

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

November 15th, 2008, 4:46 pm #6

What a great commercial from the Royal Canadian Mints 90th Anniversary for the end of the first world war, made the hair on the back of my neck stand up.
Yes, the add is not too bad at all. Paul Gross could certainly take a lesson or two from this little production.

A couple of things could be improved upon, but overall not bad. I wonder who worked on this production? I wonder where it was filmed?

David Gordon
David Gordon

November 15th, 2008, 8:35 pm #7

Could be they didn't mind if viewers associated this with SPR since to the general public, war is war and WWI and WWII are really all the same thing sadly.

For me, an effective opening sound byte would have been a sharp whistle blast for going over the top. Everyone had them but it sinks home more with the Commonwealth to me and that might have been enough to keep the focus on what they are advertising.

Still better than any coin ads running in the USA.

James Pringle
James Pringle

November 15th, 2008, 10:34 pm #8

A shrill whistle blast sending the boys over the top would have been great, and I thought I was the only one who missed that. Also Colins observation about explosions, Hollywood, enough with the gas enhanced explosions (GEEs)already. So easy to get it right but seldom is.

Colin S
Colin S

November 16th, 2008, 12:48 am #9

Yes, a strong presence of whistles would have been nice. If you listen carefully actually, you can hear whistles, but they are really buried in the mix at the top of the spot.

November 16th, 2008, 1:01 am #10

The whistles are there - the whistle in use by Commonwealth officers was the soft whistle of the English bobby - not the shrill whistle we commonly associate with sports referees in North America today.
Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com