Signs of War

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

Signs of War

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

September 24th, 2008, 2:50 am #1

[/IMG]

Signs of War by Michael A. Dorosh, CD, published by canadiansoldiers.com ISBN 978-0-9782646-9-7

I received this title for review direct from the publisher and I was very impressed with the book. The topic is certainly not what one would consider ‘mainstream’ which in my opinion is the joy of this book as it is a topic that has to my knowledge never been looked at or published before. My experience with military signage spans a couple of overseas deployments in the 1990s and although these operations were not on the level of those conducted during the Second World War, I certainly have had on more than one occasion to rely on military signage to get to a specific destination.

The well illustrated book follows a loosely defined chronological order starting with a few examples of German signage then works its way through the famous Maple Leaf Up road signs of the Northwest Europe campaign to the end surrender and collapse of the Third Reich and the very matter-of-fact signs which covered how to act in the presence of Germans and more importantly signage telling of the atrocities committed by the Nazis. Grave markers, bridge signage and military ‘tourism’ signs are also covered.

I would have liked to have seen some of the signs used during the months of training in the UK and the signs used during the Sicily/Italy campaign, but this is just personal taste. Those photographs attributed to the Library and Archives Canada do not have the specific call number which can be frustrating for other researchers to follow up on a specific image.

Overall, a book that happily graces my library and I recommend to those interested in the study of the Second World War.

Clive M. Law - Service Publications
Clive M. Law - Service Publications

September 25th, 2008, 2:04 am #2

I had meant to order this when Michael first announced it but could not access the Lulu web-site from work. Placed an on-line order tonight and expect to see the book in 2-3 weeks.

Jon Skagfeld
Jon Skagfeld

September 25th, 2008, 8:42 am #3

I ordered my copy and got a confirmation that it was shipped 15 Sep.

Still waiting.

Doug Townend
Doug Townend

September 25th, 2008, 1:44 pm #4

I had meant to order this when Michael first announced it but could not access the Lulu web-site from work. Placed an on-line order tonight and expect to see the book in 2-3 weeks.
ntxt

September 29th, 2008, 1:33 pm #5

[/IMG]

Signs of War by Michael A. Dorosh, CD, published by canadiansoldiers.com ISBN 978-0-9782646-9-7

I received this title for review direct from the publisher and I was very impressed with the book. The topic is certainly not what one would consider ‘mainstream’ which in my opinion is the joy of this book as it is a topic that has to my knowledge never been looked at or published before. My experience with military signage spans a couple of overseas deployments in the 1990s and although these operations were not on the level of those conducted during the Second World War, I certainly have had on more than one occasion to rely on military signage to get to a specific destination.

The well illustrated book follows a loosely defined chronological order starting with a few examples of German signage then works its way through the famous Maple Leaf Up road signs of the Northwest Europe campaign to the end surrender and collapse of the Third Reich and the very matter-of-fact signs which covered how to act in the presence of Germans and more importantly signage telling of the atrocities committed by the Nazis. Grave markers, bridge signage and military ‘tourism’ signs are also covered.

I would have liked to have seen some of the signs used during the months of training in the UK and the signs used during the Sicily/Italy campaign, but this is just personal taste. Those photographs attributed to the Library and Archives Canada do not have the specific call number which can be frustrating for other researchers to follow up on a specific image.

Overall, a book that happily graces my library and I recommend to those interested in the study of the Second World War.
I appreciate the review; got a couple of nice emails on this also. Never occurred to me to use the LAC call numbers, but their own system seems rather chaotic - I see one set of numbers attached to the photos published online, and then another set of numbers when photos are used in books. Having experienced first hand their cataloging system, I think frustration is built into the system.

As you already noted, the book is devoted solely to NW Europe, so no UK or Italian signs, which indeed would be interesting. If a decent source of such images presents itself, I am sure an enterprising author out in the world may find suitable inspiration in this book to attempt a follow up. I see there are people here suggesting retirement projects for you...though like my dad, sounds like your retirement will consist of full time employment.

Anyway, thanks all for the comments, I'm pleased with the way the book has turned out.
Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com

Jon Skagfeld
Jon Skagfeld

October 1st, 2008, 12:53 am #6

Got my copy 3 days after posting.

Just finished browsing it, with pleasure.

Observation: Bottom pic on p 28...I have another book and it shows that same picture, also with a second picture showing the building's appearance many years later.

Question:I've searched my shelves for whatever publication that contains these two pictures that I know that I have,to no avail. I thought "Relentless Verity" was the one, but no.

Anyone remember and can help?

October 1st, 2008, 1:34 am #7

I don't have my copy of Not in Vain by Ken Bell handy - I don't even know if he was the photographer, off hand - but it comes to mind as a possibility.
Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com

Jon Skagfeld
Jon Skagfeld

October 1st, 2008, 1:49 am #8

Bang on, Mike...pp72, 73.

Thank you.