Sgt. Harold A. Marshall

Johan Lindh
Johan Lindh

11:48 PM - Dec 04, 2003 #1

I'm looking for some biographic info on Sgt. Harold A. Marshall, who served as a sniper in the Calgary Highlanders during WW2.

Any and all information, or pointers to where I can get it, is appreciated. As I'm neither a Canadian nor a family member, I can't resort to asking the National Archives of Canada.

This is for a personal history project, nothing that'll get published. Please mail me at johan@linkdata.se if you have any clues or info.

Regards,

Johan Lindh

Paul
Paul

4:12 PM - Feb 05, 2004 #2

If you do have any info on the history of this man, please let me know, His combat background, military career, was he KIA or WIA? I bought a book titled The Canadian Soldier from D-day to VE day and there is a sharp picture of Sgt Marshall in it so I am curious

Michael Dorosh
Michael Dorosh

4:41 PM - Feb 05, 2004 #3

The Canadian Virtual War Memorial lists all KIAs. Marshall is not one of them.

He is on the casualty list in Dr. Bercuson's BATTALION OF HEROES: THE CALGARY HIGHLANDERS IN WORLD WAR TWO.

A few more pics at my website at

http://members.shaw.ca/calgaryhighlanders/

Click on SCOUTS AND SNIPERS in the left hand frame. The date of his wounding and a photo of his spotter are there also.

Russ Benneweis
Russ Benneweis

12:21 AM - Feb 06, 2004 #4

There are two pictures of Sgt. Marshall in Ken Bell's "The Way We Were": one is the famous pic and the other is him at a curling club in Calgary during the 1970s.
Russ

Michael Dorosh
Michael Dorosh

7:18 AM - Mar 11, 2004 #5

I'm looking for some biographic info on Sgt. Harold A. Marshall, who served as a sniper in the Calgary Highlanders during WW2.

Any and all information, or pointers to where I can get it, is appreciated. As I'm neither a Canadian nor a family member, I can't resort to asking the National Archives of Canada.

This is for a personal history project, nothing that'll get published. Please mail me at johan@linkdata.se if you have any clues or info.

Regards,

Johan Lindh
The battalion War Diary offers the following information, recorded on 6 October 1944, regarding the famous picture of Marshall, and some others shown at http://members.shaw.ca/calgaryhighlanders/scouts.htm

"The Scout platoon came into the limelight when Lt. Bell of "Army News" came around to get pictures and a write-up about Calgary's Western Scouts. The photographers found Lt. G. Sellar, Sniper-Sgt. H. Marshall and Scout J. J. Levesque very photogenic. The 'I' section had a "quickie" screen test when the I.O. appeared briefly with his Sgt.'s map board in a "briefing" shot. The entire Scout platoon had a group picture and in all, the Army photographers were very satisfied with their visit."