Sex at Vimy Ridge

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

Sex at Vimy Ridge

Terry Hunter
Terry Hunter

January 22nd, 2008, 2:10 pm #1

French Swingers having sex at Vimy Ridge. Reported in the Globe and Mail this morning.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ ... ional/home

Read some of the readers comments:

Terry Hunter
Transplanted Islander in Ottawa

Michael Dorosh
Michael Dorosh

January 23rd, 2008, 2:51 pm #2

The comments are no different than the Muhammed cartoons. "If I don't respect your beliefs, it is okay for me to mock them."

Those that value the Vimy memorial mostly took umbrage; those that didn't understand what the memorial was about didn't. It didn't divide that evenly, but in general I think so. It was the same with the cartoons - Christians, Jews and athiests in the main laughed off the notion that a Muslim had any right to be offended by images of their deity showing up in the newspaper. It's lack of respect.

Gord Bennett
Gord Bennett

January 23rd, 2008, 3:30 pm #3

It seems the French have short memories. Not only once, but TWICE we've saved their sorry butts from foreign occupation-- and this is how they respect our sacrifices? I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to visit the memorial only to find used condomes laying around.

dale
dale

January 23rd, 2008, 6:23 pm #4

i was stationed in germany with the canadian army (1980's). i've been to vimy, dieppe, juno beach just to name a few. all out of season. meaning not on the aniverseries.
i can honestly say the emotions you get from the french is only reserved when the cameras are present.
now holland was a differnt story. they are or were told of what canadians and the other allies did for there country. it is very sad but what do expect, when even canadian kids aren't taught. most think tom hanks and mat damone won the battle for normandy. let alone cant tell you the provinces and capitals, or the great lakes.

Ken Joyce
Ken Joyce

January 24th, 2008, 1:31 pm #5

The comments are no different than the Muhammed cartoons. "If I don't respect your beliefs, it is okay for me to mock them."

Those that value the Vimy memorial mostly took umbrage; those that didn't understand what the memorial was about didn't. It didn't divide that evenly, but in general I think so. It was the same with the cartoons - Christians, Jews and athiests in the main laughed off the notion that a Muslim had any right to be offended by images of their deity showing up in the newspaper. It's lack of respect.
While I agree that there is a lack of respect all around, another lack of respect is to name ignorants as being part of faiths such as, Christianity, Judaism and Islam etc. Those that supposedly laughed off the Mohammad issue. This same simplistic way of looking at things is also why historians confuse a religious label with faith. Those bad Christians and the Crusades, the inquisition etc. the Christian militia's in Lebanon. Those bad Jews and Muslims for always killing each other. It is a complete misuse of the name of these faiths. The ignorants being labelled as Christians, Jews, Muslims in these incidents are anything but Christians, Jews and Muslims. If they dont live the faith, they should not be labelled as such. For example, "Thou Shalt Not Kill" is not hard to understand, is it? Too much is being blamed on actual faith when it is simply a human mutilation of faith called religion. So much is done in the name of God that has absolutely nothing to do with God. Sorry Mike, just a pee-ve of mine.

Anyway the Vimy thing is sad. Some of the comments made are even more sad. But as stated, it is a sign of the times.

Liam
Liam

January 24th, 2008, 1:52 pm #6

Well stated Ken ....... I am wholeheartedly in agreement with you

Steve Forth
Steve Forth

January 26th, 2008, 7:38 am #7

French Swingers having sex at Vimy Ridge. Reported in the Globe and Mail this morning.

Read some of the readers comments:

Terry Hunter
Transplanted Islander in Ottawa
I think the thing that bothers me most about this is that I really, really don't like the idea of the Vimy memorial being known as a place for swingers to hang out. I don't think that this type of activity is appropriate or acceptable at a memorial whether it be for war dead or any other historical event. Whether or not the souls of the dead would approve or not is not the issue (As suggested by some of people at the link provided). The memorial exists for the living to pay homage to the dead so it's what the living think that matters. The swingers of France have a whole country to defile and from what I understand there are many scenic locals that they can use without offending a country that sacrificed so many young men's lives for their benefit.

James Pringle
James Pringle

January 26th, 2008, 1:03 pm #8

Canadians went to Verdun and did these antics???

January 26th, 2008, 2:09 pm #9

Com'n guys, I think many of you are overreacting. The French are the French. They are not quite as prudish about sex as we are over here, not to mention the fire and brimstone folks in the Bible Belt down south. Like, what French prime minister or president didn't have a mistress or two? No big deal.
After opening the link to the comments and reading them, I actually got a good laugh out of some of them. Who wouldn't have? Did you read the posting where the young woman remarked, "I'd rather have them coming on me than going on me." Creative.

Steve Forth
Steve Forth

January 26th, 2008, 6:59 pm #10

So if you had a particularily scenic back yard and swingers from your local area liked to sneek into your yard to have sex that wouldn't bother you? Or is it because this is taking place way over in France that it's of no consequence to you?