Seeking info on ww2 Canadian Scottish regiment

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

Seeking info on ww2 Canadian Scottish regiment

May 28th, 2008, 2:33 pm #1

Hi

I wonder if any one remembers a man named Charlie Patterson whom served in the Canadian Scottish regiment during ww2.

At some point he was stationed at Windsor Castle. I have a very small but battered photo of this company and on the back it says tis.

Headquarters 2nd batalion (i think) Windsor England Canadian boys.

It als says leftenent Market (the writing is in pencil and quite hard to read sorry about that) it also says part of 3 employment and something else which I can't make out.

Charlie Patterson is my Great Uncle (my grandad's half brother) I would dearly love to know if any one knows of him or his family (his wife's name was May he had 3 children that we know of from our family last hearing from my great Aunt May thier names being Barbara Dorothy & Billy) or if any one knows what any of the above means I would be so very grateful.

Thank you in advance

Angie

Mark W. Tonner
Mark W. Tonner

May 28th, 2008, 10:17 pm #2

Hi Angie;

You wrote: ... "*whom served in the Canadian Scottish regiment during ww2*" ... followed by ... "*At some point he was stationed at Windsor Castle*" ... and ... "*Headquarters 2nd batalion (i think) Windsor England Canadian boys*"

Just a note, 2nd Battalion, The Canadian Scottish Regiment, never served in the United Kingdom, they served here in Canada until disbandment in October 1943, however, the 1st Battalion, The Canadian Scottish Regiment did serve in the United Kingdom from approx. September 1941 to June 1944.

There were battalions of three different Canadian 'Scottish' regiments that served in the United Kingdom during the war years, these being:

- 1st Battalion, The Canadian Scottish Regiment
- 1st Battalion, The Essex Scottish Regiment
- 1st Battalion, The Toronto Scottish Regiment (M.G.)

I think, the person your looking for served with the 1st Battalion, The Toronto Scottish Regiment (M.G.), who mounted the 'King's Guard' at Buckingham Palace between 17 and 24 April 1940. To the best of my knowledge, 1st Battalion, The Canadian Scottish Regiment and 1st Battalion, The Essex Scottish Regiment never mounted the 'King's Guard' at Buckingham Palace during their time in the United Kingdom.

You may want to contact the Toronto Scottish Regiment Association to see if they could help you with information regarding Charlie Patterson. Their mailing address is:

The Toronto Scottish Regiment (Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother’s Own)
Regimental Association
Fort York Armouries
660 Fleet Street West
Toronto, Ontario
M5V 1A9, Canada

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Mark

Angie
Angie

May 28th, 2008, 11:55 pm #3

Thank you so very much I will write to them in the morning.

The only problem is I havn't got that much info at all on my great Uncle, all I do have is a battered photo of him with his regiment with Widnsor castle in the background, also photos of his wife and 3 children and the last 3 addresses that he lived at in Canada.

I do believe he was born in England, and emigrated to Canada when he was a young man ( i am in the process of writing to the immigration records office to see if it is my Charlie) Thank you so very much for the info you have given me I really appreciate your help and advice.

Best wishes
Angie
xx

Michael Dorosh
Michael Dorosh

May 29th, 2008, 6:14 pm #4

Hi

I wonder if any one remembers a man named Charlie Patterson whom served in the Canadian Scottish regiment during ww2.

At some point he was stationed at Windsor Castle. I have a very small but battered photo of this company and on the back it says tis.

It als says leftenent Market (the writing is in pencil and quite hard to read sorry about that) it also says part of 3 employment and something else which I can't make out.

Charlie Patterson is my Great Uncle (my grandad's half brother) I would dearly love to know if any one knows of him or his family (his wife's name was May he had 3 children that we know of from our family last hearing from my great Aunt May thier names being Barbara Dorothy & Billy) or if any one knows what any of the above means I would be so very grateful.

Thank you in advance

Angie
The Lorne Scots provided Defence and Employment platoons throughout the Canadian Army; they might be another possibility here, if the reference to "Employment" is to the formal title of the Lorne Scots' subunits which were sprinkled throughout the Army overseas.

Is it possible also that he was simply visiting Windsor Castle rather than stationed there? I have some nice photos in a Second World War autobiography of a Calgary Highlander with brother officers on the grounds of Buckingham Palace on leave in the vicinity of a very young Princess Elizabeth, later to become the Regiment's Colonel-in-Chief after her ascension to the throne. It was not uncommon for officers and men to forgo pubs and street brawls to actually visit places of historical and cultural significance while in the UK - they certainly had enough time to do so...

Mark W. Tonner
Mark W. Tonner

May 29th, 2008, 8:27 pm #5

Hi

Thank you in advance

Angie
Hi Michael;

You have a point there and to tell you the truth, I never thought of The Lorne Scots.

Angie wrote: "... it also says part of 3 employment and something else which I can't make out ...", which could indeed be referring to No. 3 Employment Platoon who were mobilized (effective 1 September 1939) as and served as 'Corps Troops'. They were absorbed into The Lorne Scots (Peel, Dufferin and Halton Regiment), effective 5 February 1941.

What Angie wrote (... “of 3 employment and something else” ...) could also refer to No. 3 Defence and Employment Platoon (drawn from The Lorne Scots), who were mobilized effective 7 April 1941 for service with the 3rd Canadian Division.

Cheers

Mark

Angie
Angie

May 29th, 2008, 9:10 pm #6

The Lorne Scots provided Defence and Employment platoons throughout the Canadian Army; they might be another possibility here, if the reference to "Employment" is to the formal title of the Lorne Scots' subunits which were sprinkled throughout the Army overseas.

Is it possible also that he was simply visiting Windsor Castle rather than stationed there? I have some nice photos in a Second World War autobiography of a Calgary Highlander with brother officers on the grounds of Buckingham Palace on leave in the vicinity of a very young Princess Elizabeth, later to become the Regiment's Colonel-in-Chief after her ascension to the throne. It was not uncommon for officers and men to forgo pubs and street brawls to actually visit places of historical and cultural significance while in the UK - they certainly had enough time to do so...
Oh my goodness I think your right it does say something L but I can't quite make it out

Thank you so very much im getting so excited by it all, my jigsaw puzzle is starting to make a bit more sense

Thank you both of you your both stars xxxxxxxxxx

May 29th, 2008, 11:29 pm #7

Hi Michael;

You have a point there and to tell you the truth, I never thought of The Lorne Scots.

Angie wrote: "... it also says part of 3 employment and something else which I can't make out ...", which could indeed be referring to No. 3 Employment Platoon who were mobilized (effective 1 September 1939) as and served as 'Corps Troops'. They were absorbed into The Lorne Scots (Peel, Dufferin and Halton Regiment), effective 5 February 1941.

What Angie wrote (... “of 3 employment and something else” ...) could also refer to No. 3 Defence and Employment Platoon (drawn from The Lorne Scots), who were mobilized effective 7 April 1941 for service with the 3rd Canadian Division.

Cheers

Mark
Mark,

A bit of 'nit-pickin' regarding your post above re: guard duties at Buckingham Palace.

The London Times reported on 16 April 1940 that the VanDoos would mount guard at Buckingham and St. James palaces from 17-20 April, to be relieved by the Toronto Scottish, who would mount guard at those locations 21-24 April.

Each unit would provide about eighty men. Those six feet tall or more would attend at Buckingham Palace, those under six feet would attend at St. James.

"The French-Canadians will be making history, for this is the first time that troops of the British Empire not of purely British descent and not speaking English as their native tongue have guarded the residences of the Sovereign"

Music for guard mounting and other ceremonies during this "Canadian Week" was provided by the bands of the Grenadier and Welsh Guards and the pipe bands of the Toronto Scottish and Scots Guards.

Mark W. Tonner
Mark W. Tonner

May 30th, 2008, 1:48 am #8

Hi Ken;

No problem, you are correct regarding the Royal 22e Regiment, I didn't mention them in my previous post because I didn't think their guard mounting along with the Tor Scots had anything to do with my reply concerning a 'Canadian Scottish' Regiment. The dates I wrote concerning the Tor Scots period of guard mounting were (and I forgot to include the word) approximate.

As a point of interest, the Royal 22e Regiment and 1st Battalion, The Toronto Scottish Regiment (M.G.), were the ‘first’ Canadian troops during the period of the Second World War, to be granted the honour and privilege of mounting the guard at Buckingham Palace and at St. James, which duty they carried out between 17 - 24 April 1940. Also, another point of interest, from 1938 to the time of her passing in 2002, Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother, was the Colonel-in-Chief of the Toronto Scottish Regiment.

Cheers

Mark