Sand bags

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

Sand bags

December 16th, 2011, 3:05 am #1

I'm sure it's just a coincidence, but all of the SWW Canadian made sand bags (4 different manufacturers) that I have seen are made in 1943. Does anyone else have any in their collections that have other dates?

January 3rd, 2012, 7:09 pm #2

BTT for Steve.

All my sandbags are green nylon, so can't help...
Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com

January 4th, 2012, 5:04 am #3

I thought for sure some of our fellow forum members would have some of these in their collections or have seen some examples in museums. It was just a post out of curiosity.

Ron Volstad
Ron Volstad

January 5th, 2012, 6:23 am #4

Hi Steve,

I had one for a while but had to keep it wrapped in a plastic bag and stored in plastic tub. Whatever was in the burlap made me sneeze until I sealed it up again. I think I gave it to Cst. Pete so he could enjoy that "Hay Fever".

Cheers,
Ron V

January 6th, 2012, 3:40 am #5

All the bags I have smell like an old surplus store. Must be something they used to treat the material. But I'm not going to let that deter me from collecting them.... if nothing else the smell in my collection room brings back fond memories of my early days of searching for militaria at some my old haunts.

Geoff Middleton
Geoff Middleton

January 8th, 2012, 9:56 pm #6

....for which my wife is most grateful I know! Perhaps now I can tell her things could be worse. I always found the groundsheets and ponchos of the 60's to 80's to be most vile, usually smelling like vomit or worse. I have to keep them well hidden or they will end up "donated" to the Sally Ann. I don't think that even airing them out helps. That is some persistant preservative!