Salute to the Canadian Army (U.S. Army Film)

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

Salute to the Canadian Army (U.S. Army Film)

S. Stoddard
S. Stoddard

December 29th, 2010, 6:38 am #1

Not sure if this has been posted or not, but found it on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W451YQ10 ... re=related

My apologies if its been posted before.

Thought everyone up north might enjoy it.

Christopher Furlotte
Christopher Furlotte

December 29th, 2010, 11:09 am #2

Thanks as I haven't seen this one cinema before! It was worth watching!!

Chris

Michael Reintjes
Michael Reintjes

December 29th, 2010, 5:06 pm #3

Looks like the parade square at Wolesley Barracks in London. Beaver Hall and lots of old familiar sites in the background. There is a Loblaws and a subdivision now where the RCR troops are marching in the video...

Doug Townend
Doug Townend

December 29th, 2010, 8:49 pm #4

parade square summer 1957 when the Ontario contingent for the Banff national cadet camp mustered there the week before July 1. I came down with severe gut pain that long weekend, the duty medic gave me aspirin, and by 10 AM next day, a Monday, I was having my appendix out. Such are the memories of youth.

DT.

Mark W. Tonner
Mark W. Tonner

December 29th, 2010, 10:40 pm #5

Looks like the parade square at Wolesley Barracks in London. Beaver Hall and lots of old familiar sites in the background. There is a Loblaws and a subdivision now where the RCR troops are marching in the video...
The first segment is indeed the main parade square at Wolseley Barracks . . . beings back memories of the 1st Battalion, every Friday morning, rain or shine, either CO's parade or RSM's parade . . . now it's all gone . . .

Christopher Furlotte
Christopher Furlotte

December 30th, 2010, 7:31 am #6

I do remember somewhat 'vaguely' of watching 1 Battalion Royal Canadian Regiment on the parade square as a wee lad, and the soldiers were still wearing khaki service dress for a change of command ceremony? It was only a few minutes worth that I can recall, but they did look rather dignified and that I was curious to know more....'

The 1970's as a soldiers dependent was the start for me at least, the beginnings of a long and scholarly beginnings of discovery of Canada's military heritage.

I came to call the 'dork forest' a home a way from home

Pro Patria!

Again, a really good documentary!

Chris

Robert Wilson
Robert Wilson

December 30th, 2010, 8:39 pm #7

Not sure if this has been posted or not, but found it on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W451YQ10 ... re=related

My apologies if its been posted before.

Thought everyone up north might enjoy it.
Great documentry it was nice to see the old open palm salute. I can still picture my dad marching past the review stand in front of the band and making that salute to Field Marshall Montgomery when he came to visit Canada very smart indeed.