Royal Canadian Navy at the 1953 Coronation.

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

Royal Canadian Navy at the 1953 Coronation.

J.Garnier
J.Garnier

June 4th, 2012, 1:02 pm #1

The following excellent colour film Sailors of the Queen on The Royal Canadian Navys contribution to the Coronation Procession and Fleet review in 1953.From the CBC files.
http://www.cbc.ca/video/news/player.htm ... 1530280479

Jo

Robert Wilson
Robert Wilson

June 10th, 2012, 4:15 pm #2

As usual when I click onto this site I usually come across some bit of information that brings back memories of my father's days in the Military. I guess that's the main reason why I check onto this site along with learning other informative details related to our boys who served their country. My dad had the honour of being selected by the QORof C to be its representative at the Queen's Coronation back in 53. As I remember each militia regiment was asked to provide one representative to attend as part of the official Canadian contingent. Dad came back from the Coronation on the Maggie and I still have a post card with her picture that he kept as a memento along with all the other official correspondence etc that went along with the event. Now dad had the MM & bronze oak leaf as part of his medal pin up. But as he explained to me when he came back there were men there with VC's and every other kind of medal for bravery. One guy from Australia I believe that impressed him had the MM with two bars pinned on his chest. It must have been a once in a life time event in more ways then one for those military personal in attendance from all parts of the commonwealth.