Researching CEF Battalion

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

Researching CEF Battalion

June 17th, 2011, 1:46 am #1

I am about to undertake some research on the 123rd Battalion (and later 123rd Pioneer Battalion), CEF, and the first task is to develop a complete (or as complete as possible) roster of all soldiers who served with the 123rd. So you may ask why I want to start with the roster, and the answer is simple; I already have a list of ~1,300 other ranks, and 30 officers, so this is already a work in progress.

There are War Diaries available online starting in February 1917 for the 123rd Pioneers, but the 123rd was split up before being redesignation as a Pioneer Battalion, and many of those soldiers who originally attested to the 123rd were assigned to the 3rd Battalion, and others. I think that the most definitive information will be contained in the Part II Orders, but that's where I am stalled. Can anyone advise how I might go about acquiring a copy of the Part II Orders (Dec 22, 1915 to Sept 15, 1920) without breaking the bank?

Dan

Michael Dorosh
Michael Dorosh

June 17th, 2011, 2:21 am #2

I am at work tonight so my online browsing time is limited, but if you haven't already looked, try the CEF forum and see if they can recommend a "friendly" researcher in the Ottawa area who would offer reasonable rates in the archives. I made contact with such a researcher who did the wartime war diary of my father's old artillery battery (he served postwar but I wanted the wartime war diary for a history I wrote of the unit). The researcher had much better rates than the archives charged, because he knew what the project meant to me.

That's my suggestion, at any rate. Someone at the CEF forum may have better - the link is in the forum main header.

June 17th, 2011, 1:41 pm #3

I am about to undertake some research on the 123rd Battalion (and later 123rd Pioneer Battalion), CEF, and the first task is to develop a complete (or as complete as possible) roster of all soldiers who served with the 123rd. So you may ask why I want to start with the roster, and the answer is simple; I already have a list of ~1,300 other ranks, and 30 officers, so this is already a work in progress.

There are War Diaries available online starting in February 1917 for the 123rd Pioneers, but the 123rd was split up before being redesignation as a Pioneer Battalion, and many of those soldiers who originally attested to the 123rd were assigned to the 3rd Battalion, and others. I think that the most definitive information will be contained in the Part II Orders, but that's where I am stalled. Can anyone advise how I might go about acquiring a copy of the Part II Orders (Dec 22, 1915 to Sept 15, 1920) without breaking the bank?

Dan
Dan, have you tried Bruce Barbeau (Capt (Ret'd)), the curator of the Royals museum? The regiment is working on a historical project for the 150th Anniversary next year. He may be able to assist you, or at least, point you in the right direction.

Cheers

Mark

June 17th, 2011, 11:16 pm #4

Thanks Mark. I haven't tried Bruce yet. Good suggestion!