regt. mascots

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

regt. mascots

dale
dale

March 12th, 2010, 4:38 pm #1

can any one tell me,
why goats are usaly mascots?
when and what canadian regt. (gaurds?); was the last if any to have one?
thank you

Clive
Clive

March 12th, 2010, 5:07 pm #2

The R22eR still has a goat as Regimental Mascot. Bastite gets a corporal's pay which is used to defray food and vet costs. He is paraded on a regular basis.

dale
dale

March 13th, 2010, 12:14 am #3

outstanding.

any idea why a goat? being a gunner of c bty, i have read that the bty adopted a dog (looks like a yellow lab)i think it was the boer war. called "old bill". don't (not to the 30's+?)think it was carried on.

Anonymous
Anonymous

March 13th, 2010, 12:15 am #4

sorry, thank you

Christopher Furlotte
Christopher Furlotte

March 13th, 2010, 1:58 am #5

Dale,
Here's a link on the R22eR of Canada. This great regiment has a lot of history behind it! Perhaps you might find your question in the links on this web page?

The R22eR is allied with the Royal Welsh Regiment, so perhaps this is a trans-Atlantic tradition or gift from them, and pass down throughout the years? The other answer could be, it as gift to the regiment from H.M. The Queen. Again, I don't know for certain, just vaguely remember reading something on this subject, a number of years ago!?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_22e_R%C3%A9giment

Chris

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

March 13th, 2010, 3:53 am #6

can any one tell me,
why goats are usaly mascots?
when and what canadian regt. (gaurds?); was the last if any to have one?
thank you

dale
dale

March 13th, 2010, 4:49 am #7

to funny. thanks. i think i get it now.

March 15th, 2010, 1:11 pm #8

Dale,
Here's a link on the R22eR of Canada. This great regiment has a lot of history behind it! Perhaps you might find your question in the links on this web page?

The R22eR is allied with the Royal Welsh Regiment, so perhaps this is a trans-Atlantic tradition or gift from them, and pass down throughout the years? The other answer could be, it as gift to the regiment from H.M. The Queen. Again, I don't know for certain, just vaguely remember reading something on this subject, a number of years ago!?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_22e_R%C3%A9giment

Chris
A great cartoon. Any chance on seeing the biographical sketch?