Regina Rifles BD

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

Regina Rifles BD

Roberto T
Roberto T

February 7th, 2012, 12:39 am #1

Hi all,

First time posting on this forum but I have been following for years and know a few of the members. I just picked up this BD and would love some second opinions specifically on the shoulder titles. I have received opinions of 2 knowledgeable collectors who gave a thumbs up but could not with certainty say the titles were WWII issue. I have also just posted on the british badge forum. All thread does not light up under UV and from peeking behind the badge the backing seems to be a whitish cheese clothe. The titles in person are not shiny(glare from flash). Please see attached pics. Appreciate the help!

Roberto

Craig B
Craig B

February 8th, 2012, 6:04 am #2

I have lots of Regina rifle stuff and the badges looks OK to me. Just a note... in speaking with the Rifles vets they did not wear the red and black rank badges in combat... they became targets because they stood out.. They told me that they soon switched over to regular issue rank to prevent this... The regimental rank was uses mostly in garrison or when they would be in the rear... they also had some badges made in Europe (France) when they were in short supply (in theater).

just my 2 cents..

February 8th, 2012, 12:58 pm #3

Conversations with fellows like Ed Storey and Bill Alexander make it clear that much surviving battle dress was the "best BD" worn at the end of the war by the fellows who were coming home. Most of this had never been worn in action, either squirreled away in kit bags, or issued out brand new at the end of hostilities to replace battle-worn stuff. Just as all the vehicles and equipment was thoroughly cleaned and scrubbed for the victory parades in Europe at the end of the war, so too was there a desire for the men to look their best for their return home.

"Battle-worn" battledress would, I presume, have in the main been turned back in for salvage rather than preserved in the manner of hockey's "game-worn" jerseys today.
Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

February 8th, 2012, 5:28 pm #4

Hi all,

First time posting on this forum but I have been following for years and know a few of the members. I just picked up this BD and would love some second opinions specifically on the shoulder titles. I have received opinions of 2 knowledgeable collectors who gave a thumbs up but could not with certainty say the titles were WWII issue. I have also just posted on the british badge forum. All thread does not light up under UV and from peeking behind the badge the backing seems to be a whitish cheese clothe. The titles in person are not shiny(glare from flash). Please see attached pics. Appreciate the help!

Roberto
My take on this item is that it has been replicated from a original items.

Roberto T
Roberto T

February 9th, 2012, 1:14 am #5

Hi all,

Roberto
Thanks a lot for all the help on this item. Michael, I have to agree that most of the BDs are home coming tunics........... Interestingly enough of the tunics in my collection and that I have seen that I am sure are home coming, none are dated later than Jan 1945. As such, I am skeptical that many BDs dated 1945 were used in combat in the 4 months and a couple of days left in the war.

Roberto

Bruce P
Bruce P

February 10th, 2012, 11:07 pm #6

My take on this item is that it has been replicated from a original items.
What about it makes you think it's put together?

February 11th, 2012, 1:16 am #7

I'm curious about the thread that was used in the stitching but don't know enough to say if this would qualify/disqualify it as a wartime one. I've seen some really awful wartime blouses - I mean, all the badges sewn on in white darning wool - given that troops often didn't have access to sewing machines, or different coloured thread to match their badges. But I haven't examined enough late war/immediate post-war blouses to know if such things were common after the return to "normalcy". Anxious to hear Ed's (or other's) take on this.

As far as the Blouse in this discussion, seems from the photos all the badges are sewn on in khaki thread?
Last edited by dorosh on February 11th, 2012, 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com

February 11th, 2012, 2:08 am #8

Hi all,

Roberto
I am not an expert, but did save information from an auction of 9 different types of RRR titles by Chris Brooker several years ago. These would appear to most closely match a set he described as 'consistent with titles produced in Canada for the Canadian Army Pacific Force' and 'this pattern appears to be the one worn by the RRR until the 1968 unification of the Canadian Armed Forces'. He describes them as 'green lettering woven through red melton and beige burlap backing cloth'.

Kevin Lambie
http://www.reginarifles.ca

Anonymous
Anonymous

February 11th, 2012, 3:12 pm #9

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the reply. I am afraid that the auction description is just to vague to draw conclusions......... This description can fit RRR titles from the war well into the 60s as you have mentioned. I was hoping that someone knew this specific variation (given thread coarseness, thickness and spacing of letters, any flaws coupled with the backing).

cheers,

Roberto

Michael Reintjes
Michael Reintjes

February 11th, 2012, 3:26 pm #10

I try to stay away from BD'S with Canadian made titles for this very reason.Unless they have provenance or come from the guy himself they are far too easy for some guy to make up from stuff he bought at Sunday's gun show.I know in some cases Canadian made type titles were worn by some overseas units but the overwhelming majority of jackets in my Collection have British made Shoulder titles on them.