Regimental Trews.

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

Regimental Trews.

Christopher Furlotte
Christopher Furlotte

December 8th, 2010, 12:45 am #1

I was wondering why is it only in the British Army's policy of allowing all ranks to wear tartan regimental trews dress(Scottish Units) and in the Canadian Army (Army Reserve Units-Highlanders & Scottish) I've only seen Officers wear them on occasion! The Cameron Highlanders of Ottawa is the only unit that I can base my own experiences on ie, seeing subalterns and senior officers wearing them for parade and garrison dress.

Why is it that NCO/NCM aren't issued them? Is this a cost factor!?

Is there any regimental unit regulations covering this subject??

Chris

December 8th, 2010, 12:49 am #2

You answered it, money.
Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com

Christopher Furlotte
Christopher Furlotte

December 8th, 2010, 2:31 am #3

That's what I thought!

Thanks.

Chris

clive
clive

December 8th, 2010, 3:39 am #4

Soldiers cannot be forced to purchase uniform items (ignoring the small sh*t like lanyards etc..) and are only required to wear items of CF issue. Officers, on the other hand, are usually advised of their financial requirements prior to being accepted by the CO and are prepared to pay out of pocket in support of regimental tradition - especially when it affects items of dress. As a junior officer in the GGFG I was advised by the CO that it would be at least 2 years before I 'made' any money as most of my pay would go towards my own uniform items or to the Regimental Fund to cover the Band, etc..

December 8th, 2010, 1:57 pm #5

That's what I thought!

Thanks.

Chris
When would your average NCM wear them? And for what purpose? Even the kilt only gets worn maybe 6 times a year in a reserve unit. It was bad enough when they paid for a useless garrison dress uniform; they junked it and just told everyone to wear the combat uniform as working clothing. I don't see that "golf pants" would be a wiser solution.
Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com

Christopher Furlotte
Christopher Furlotte

December 8th, 2010, 2:48 pm #6

Mike,
I see what you mean on this topic! I was under the impression that the kilt was worn a lot more then just 6 times a year or so!?
Mind you, I was using my own experiences as a Cameron Highlander Cadet from the early 1980's at Cartier Drill Hall, as I do remember seeing them worn on a semi-regular basis by Officers if memory serves correct?

Cost for them would be quite expensive as you've previously mentioned, since the it's only the government tartan is now made for the Royal Regiment of Scotland(1,2,3,4,5,6,7.) Battalion's that are now issued it. As most tartan is made in Scotland for British & Canadian and of course, other commonwealth armies the need for different types of this wool fabric is quite pricey for Militia and Reserve units to purchase!

And of course, does the cost justify the need for them? ie, Regimental Trews. They do look much sharper looking then regular CF trousers, and yet,the cost is a huge burden to bare for most reserve units.

I just recently saw this link and thought to post it, for interest sake. (very cheap for a pair of government tartan trews!)

http://www.the-outdoor.co.uk/ishop/853/shopscr615.html

Chris

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

December 8th, 2010, 4:57 pm #7

When it comes to 'Regimental Bling', the Reserve Armour and Infantry Regiments are probably the 'blingest' as they have all manner of 'tribal dress' distinctions that can cost a lot of money to maintain. It all looks pretty cool, but it does cost money and these folks are pretty determined to maintain the old traditions.

Christopher Furlotte
Christopher Furlotte

December 8th, 2010, 6:32 pm #8

Ed,
As always right on the $$$! Mind you, we are better for it, regiments fighting hard to maintain there unique unit dress etc. I honestly think it looks so smart and classy as well, compare to everybody looking the same and what have you.

I also think that wool trews are more more practical wearing, especially during our long cold winter months here, also they give more warmth then synthetic materials in regular pants! They look classy with the CF shirt and wool sweater and glengary.

Here's a link on Trews.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trews

Here's the dress reg's of The Royal Regiment of Scotland. (look at the photograph of the subaltern & sargent wearing trews.)

http://www.army.mod.uk/documents/genera ... ations.pdf

Chris