Regimental Open House

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

Regimental Open House

September 17th, 2007, 7:24 pm #1

I am pleased to announce that The Royal Highland Fusiliers of Canada will be holding their Regimental Open House and Military Timeline display, on Saturday 27 October 2007.
We will be focusing on the military heritage of the county and the Regiment past and present.
We plan on having over 200 years of military history represented on this day.
If you are interested in coming out to help with a display or just attending, contact me off list at lanceh99@rogers.com for more details.

Lance Harrisson

September 17th, 2007, 8:10 pm #2

NTXT

Jordan Baker
Jordan Baker

September 17th, 2007, 9:00 pm #3

Lance,

Great picutres, especially of the Carrier *wink, wink*

Anyway this is a wonderful display/ timeline event and if you can go it is well worth spending a Saturday inside.

Jordan

D. Townend
D. Townend

September 18th, 2007, 1:21 am #4

I am pleased to announce that The Royal Highland Fusiliers of Canada will be holding their Regimental Open House and Military Timeline display, on Saturday 27 October 2007.
We will be focusing on the military heritage of the county and the Regiment past and present.
If you are interested in coming out to help with a display or just attending, contact me off list at lanceh99@rogers.com for more details.

Lance Harrisson
ntxt

September 18th, 2007, 4:07 pm #5

The event is being held at:

The Cambridge Armoury,
1 Valour Place,
Cambridge, Ontario,
N1R 3P1
(519) 740-2213

September 18th, 2007, 4:07 pm #6

Doors open to the public at 1000 hrs and close at 1700 hrs.

September 21st, 2007, 10:55 pm #7

Lance Harrisson
I can't locate Valour Place, Cambridge, on Google Maps.

Can someone give quick and dirty directions for coming off the 401?

Thanks, Dan.

September 24th, 2007, 12:38 am #8

Google might recognise the old address, as 21 Mill St. Valour Pl. is the name of the walkway up to the front doors, due to the monuments along it. So the address is recognised as 1 Valour Pl.
Directions from the 401 (Toronto) are as follows.

Take Exit 282 (RR-24 S, HWY-24 S, Hespeler Rd, Brantford)

Turn left onto HWY-24 (Hespeler Rd) Travel around 5600m. Keep right.

You'll come to the mother of all intersections, go straight (ish) through the intersection. Once through keep Left. The Tim Horton’s should be on your left.

Continue onto Ainslie St N; street becomes Ainslie St S. you'll travel under a train bridge, down a hill, and the road will split, keep Left, Right is oncoming traffic.

Travel through three sets of lights, and turn Left onto Main Street (there will be a Mr. Sub at the intersection of Anslie and Main St. Take your first right at the TD Canada Trust. You'll see the Armoury now, (big red brick building, next to the Bus Station) the road will curve left and the entrance to the parking lot is on the right, it's free on weekends.

Lance Harrisson

October 25th, 2007, 5:42 pm #9

Just a reminder, The Royal Highland Fusiliers of Canada Open House / Military Heritage day is this Staurday.
Try to come out and have a look if you can.

October 27th, 2007, 8:47 pm #10

Lance Harrisson
Lance,

Had a great time at the open house. Very impressed with the equipment used today and by the militia men who are using them.

There was a large display of exotic weaponry that was privately owned, but I never found out who the owner was. I would have liked to have asked some questions, but maybe next year.

My favourite reenactment group? The CWACs, but I'm a sucker for a girl in uniform. I also liked the Spanish Civil War display.

The highlight however, was talking to Corporal Pagnacco for over an hour. Pagnacco is an RHFC member and Afghan vet who was wounded in country. He was there in full desert uniform and equipment. Answered everything I asked him about his gear, weapons, small unit tactics and the LAV III. Then he got a map out and oriented me to the area. He is an excellent advertisement for the RHFC and the Canadian Army.

All in all, I would do it again and recommend it to others.

Dan.