Re: Colors

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

Re: Colors

August 22nd, 2012, 12:02 am #1

Michael, that photo is a later photo and I don't believe it represents the camouflage scheme that our 2RCR tracks were painted in.

You have to consider that each of the three battalions, the Patricias, the Van Doos, and us, painted the tracks separately, without any coordination, so the camo schemes could and did vary.

I seem to remember a tan color, perhaps because at the time (memory cells firing here) I remarked that the paint had to come from the Brit desert stocks, maybe destined for Africa. One of the colors had to be a tan.

Are there any photos of 1967-68 RCR tracks? Who's got color photos?

August 22nd, 2012, 12:06 am #2

Oops .. Michael, could you stick this back under the 2RCR Subbies thread, please?

August 22nd, 2012, 1:45 am #3

Michael, that photo is a later photo and I don't believe it represents the camouflage scheme that our 2RCR tracks were painted in.

You have to consider that each of the three battalions, the Patricias, the Van Doos, and us, painted the tracks separately, without any coordination, so the camo schemes could and did vary.

I seem to remember a tan color, perhaps because at the time (memory cells firing here) I remarked that the paint had to come from the Brit desert stocks, maybe destined for Africa. One of the colors had to be a tan.

There is a thread at the Canadian AFV modeller's forum that discusses colour schemes -

http://www.network54.com/Forum/169232/t ... ns+-+4+Bde

Seems to confirm use of a tan colour in the 60's...

This photo shows a four-colour pattern, as referenced in the thread:

Last edited by dorosh on August 22nd, 2012, 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com

August 22nd, 2012, 1:42 pm #4

These photos are from Al Ditter. The first shows his carrier (C/S 33) and several others at Fort York in early 1970. Notice the two different camouflage patterns. The second is from Baden-Soelligen in 1971. The third is from an exercise in 1971. The final is from the parade held at Baden-S in 1970 to show the Air Force what 3 Mech Cdo had.

August 22nd, 2012, 4:52 pm #5

By coincidence, Dan, the "Original Owner" of Three-Three was me. That was when LGen (Rtd) Jack Vance was a major and Company Commander.
The other two platoon commanders, back when platoon commanders were 2LTs instead of captains, were Ray Elliston and Rick St Germain.

I don't have access to my files at the moment, but I do have a photo of Ray swimming a track with his then platoon sergeant John O'Quinn during a river crossing near Hamlin where the Pied Piper used to hang out in Days of Old. There's also a photo in my collection of 33 and a couple of other company tracks in a German orchard while still in original FMC factory OD finish with white call signs. I'll try to dig the photos out.

The second photo that you posted clearly shows uniformity in the camouflage pattern. That was my original intent when painting the tracks.