RCEME Sergeant, Chatham Barracks, Hanover, 1951-52

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

RCEME Sergeant, Chatham Barracks, Hanover, 1951-52

June 9th, 2018, 7:34 pm #1

From another forum, I've taken this shot of one officer, one warrant officer and one sergeant of the RCEME with 27 CIB in Germany. The question I have is: What is the insignia above the sergeant's stripes on his brassard? Any ideas?

Cheers,
Dan.

June 11th, 2018, 9:43 pm #2

He's a staff sergeant. Looks like a worsted Tudor crown ("King's Crown").
Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com

June 11th, 2018, 9:45 pm #3

Any idea of the date of the photo? Looks like from the uniforms it could be either before, or after, the change of Monarch. There would have been a wearing out period for Tudor crowns also.
Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com

June 11th, 2018, 10:13 pm #4

Michael,

It would have been the Spring or Summer of 1952, so still King's crown. I'm beginning to think it's not some esoteric insignia but just a crown of a type in use at the time. I have a photo of another RCEME Staff Sergeant from 1952 and the crown is identical to the one in this photo.

Anyone have a photo of Canadian Staff Sergeant insignia from that period to share?

Cheers,
Dan.

July 16th, 2018, 3:07 pm #5

Remember the change from King's to Queen's crown was not instantaneous and it took a while, sometimes years, for the QC insignia (especially the metal insignia) to be manufactured and distributed through the supply chain.   Interesting that the other vehicle wreck in the background is a Buffalo LVT.