RCA in Holland 1944-1945

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

RCA in Holland 1944-1945

Philip Reinders
Philip Reinders

April 14th, 2008, 2:39 pm #1

Looking for information of units who fought in Holland in 1944/1945, also want to contact Veterans who can tell me some more about themselves and thier units

Doug Townend
Doug Townend

April 14th, 2008, 7:16 pm #2

There are all sorts of references you can use:

- The official history of the Canadian Army in WW2, has good line charts of the units in each division;
- the three books by George Blackburn including where the hell are the guns, The Guns of Victory, and The Guns of Normandy;
- the official history of the Royal Canadian Artillery.
Any of the above books will be available at your local library or in used book stores.
If you want to meet veterans, try the local branches of the Royal Canadian Legion and reserve force Artillery units.

Try the internet also.

DT.

April 14th, 2008, 11:37 pm #3

Battery Flashes by D.W. Falconer gives sketch histories of all the Canadian artillery units in the Second World War.
Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com

Philip Reinders
Philip Reinders

April 15th, 2008, 5:33 pm #4

Thanks for the info, I have already the book about 15th RCA field regiment

April 16th, 2008, 4:44 pm #5

Are there specifics you need or just a list of participants?

Fort Rodd Hill & Fisgard Lighthouse, National Historic Sites of Canada
Parks Canada

Anonymous
Anonymous

April 16th, 2008, 5:12 pm #6

Thanks for that Bob

any info about them is welcome, I still try to figure out how to order War diaries in Ottowa

April 16th, 2008, 9:26 pm #7

There is simply too much information on the 13th that I have to be transcribing it all. My grandfather was with them.

If there are any specifics you need, just let me know.

Cheers,

Bob

Fort Rodd Hill & Fisgard Lighthouse, National Historic Sites of Canada
Parks Canada

Anonymous
Anonymous

April 17th, 2008, 4:59 pm #8

Bob

please contact me at reinders2@chello.nl

Philip Reinders
Philip Reinders

June 17th, 2008, 5:28 pm #9

Still hope to hear from as currently working on a webpage about RA units in the netherlands in 1944-1945

dale
dale

June 27th, 2008, 7:30 pm #10

if your a gunner you like this (i hope). well staioned in germany myself and another gunner, were ordered to give a dog and pony for a ppcli sgt's father who served in ww2 in the arty and in holland. well we showed the old fella the m-109, took him for a ride let him drive. showed the rounds ect; ect; as they were leaving he graciously thanks us. well he spots a 25 pounder (display). well his eyes light up and he tells us he was a #1 in holland. tells us they did a night move for a day occupation. he lays the gun using a distant gap#1 to the front and uses aiming post for the rear gap#2. all is good, they go to ground, as early the next morning they will start firing missions. well they start firing, op reports effective fire. well they continue firing for a few hours, the op reports one group is consistantly moving. long story short his gap#1 was a barge in a cannal. layed on the mast, and it started it's voyage.