Rank or Appointment?

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

Rank or Appointment?

February 28th, 2012, 2:46 am #1

I have seen these badges before, and in fact, I have a few of them in my collection, but I don't really know what it is. I don't think it is a Conductor's rank badge, and I don't even know whether it is a rank or an appointment.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Post-WW2-Canada ... 500wt_1415

Can anyone clarify this for me?

Thanks,
Dan

Doug Townend
Doug Townend

February 28th, 2012, 4:02 am #2

The conductor and sub-conductor rank badge was first worn in the mid-1960s when the appointment was resurrected in the Cdn Army. Several Corps selected certain positions to be designated for the appointment. For instance, in the RCOC about 17 positions were designated. The RCASC also had several positions. If I can find my notes, I'll add to this.

In WW2, because there was not enough Captains in the RCOC to fill all the positions, WOs1 were appointed to some of them and many of the men were appointed Conductors. The primary positions were the Brigade Ordnance Officer (BOO), a position at each Brigade HQ. The position was designated Brigade Ordnance Warrant Office or BOWO when filled by a WO1.

DT.

February 28th, 2012, 1:10 pm #3

Thanks Doug. Are you saying that the badge being auctioned IS for a Conductor? The other Conductor badge in my collection has a wreath of laurel beneath the Royal Coat of Arms. The seller has advertized it as a Command CWO badge, but I am inclined to believe that this is not correct. Thanks for confirming that Conductor was an appointment and not a rank.

Dan

Doug Townend
Doug Townend

February 28th, 2012, 2:11 pm #4

The Cdn Army never had Command CWOs as the ebay vendor states.

The badge in the ebay lot is that of a Cdn Army Conductor appointment reinstituted in the mid -1960s.

Further to my last message, WW2 CARO 4749 "Badges, Chevrons and Armlets" at Table A lists the following appointments that wore a badge with the Royal Arms in Wreath: Conductor RCOC, Master Gunner 1st Class with a gun beneath the wreath and Staff-sergeant-major 1st class. To my knowledge, the RCASC was the only Corps that had the appointment of Staff-sergeant-major.

DT.

February 29th, 2012, 3:06 am #5

So I assume that the two badges pictured below are the 2nd WW version and the 1960s version of the conductor appointment badge (and Master Gunner and Staff Sgt-Major),

Dan

February 29th, 2012, 3:11 am #6

The badge in the ebay lot is that of a Cdn Army Conductor appointment reinstituted in the mid -1960s.

Further to my last message, WW2 CARO 4749 "Badges, Chevrons and Armlets" at Table A lists the following appointments that wore a badge with the Royal Arms in Wreath: Conductor RCOC, Master Gunner 1st Class with a gun beneath the wreath and Staff-sergeant-major 1st class. To my knowledge, the RCASC was the only Corps that had the appointment of Staff-sergeant-major.

DT.
"The Cdn Army never had Command CWOs as the ebay vendor states."

I also assume that you mean that the Canadian Army didn't have Command CWOs during the era that the conductor badges were worn. We have them now.

Doug Townwnd
Doug Townwnd

February 29th, 2012, 11:15 am #7

So I assume that the two badges pictured below are the 2nd WW version and the 1960s version of the conductor appointment badge (and Master Gunner and Staff Sgt-Major),

Dan
Yes.

Doug Townend
Doug Townend

February 29th, 2012, 11:17 am #8

"The Cdn Army never had Command CWOs as the ebay vendor states."

I also assume that you mean that the Canadian Army didn't have Command CWOs during the era that the conductor badges were worn. We have them now.
Correct.

Lets end this thread. You have all the necessary info to make a decision on the ebay lot.

DT.

Bill A
Bill A

February 29th, 2012, 1:27 pm #9

What is the appointment of Staff Sergeant Major? Responsibilities and duties?

Clive M. Law - Service Publications
Clive M. Law - Service Publications

February 29th, 2012, 3:14 pm #10

DT.
Nice background. Where have I seen that before....