RamTank is growing

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

RamTank is growing

Clive M. Law - Service Publications
Clive M. Law - Service Publications

December 25th, 2009, 5:46 pm #1

Some of you may be familiar with myhttp://www.RamTank.ca website. I have now added additional sections for the M37, M38, M38A1, M151, Iltis and Ferret. More sections will follow. If you have photos that you would like to contribute to the project please feel free to e-mail them to me. I am looking for photos that clearly show the CFR number for use in the registries, as well as other photos for the general galleries (not built yet). Finally, I also want photos of restored vehicles. Down the road I will expand to more models.

Cheers,
Clive

December 25th, 2009, 7:54 pm #2

I will go through my exercise photos and see if the CFRs are visible on my Iltis photos. I checked my Facebook pages and unfortunately, the Iltis photos I've uploaded don't show the CFRs, but I may have some better ones in my photo albums. Should be a short search, our unit only had 2 or 3 Iltises on its charge. I take it the desire is to know which units the vehicles actually belonged to, rather than simply random shots on exercise?
Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com

Clive
Clive

December 25th, 2009, 10:14 pm #3

I will include whatever info I have on the site

Gord bennett
Gord bennett

December 26th, 2009, 5:31 am #4

That's a great site, Clive. I have an Iltis CFR# 86709 formerly of 408 Sqn. I purchased it a few years ago when they were surplused off here in Edmonton.

Here's a pic of my Iltis on display for the Strathcona Legion's 65th Anniversary golf tournament. Our MVPA group was asked to provide a variety of HMV's for static display at some of the holes and i was more than happy to oblige.

Being a vehicle formerly in Air Force service it didn't have a very glorious service life. I've since painted and kitted it up to represent one of our machines serving during the early years of the war in Afghanistan since none (except the TOW variant on display at the CWM) made it back.

Unfortunately i don't have outlook so i can't use the contact icon at your site and send directly.

Clive
Clive

December 26th, 2009, 6:06 am #5

Thnx Gord, Is this the 'real' CFR or just a set of plates that you put on?

Gord Bennett
Gord Bennett

December 26th, 2009, 6:42 am #6

That's the real CFR number of the vehicle.

Believe it or not, the original plate that was on the front when i got it was actually confiscated by the MP's (that's another story..).

As a result i had to make up an exact 2D copy that can fool the best of 'em and keeps me not 'in posession of stolen DND property'.

Cheers!

GB

Gord Bennett
Gord Bennett

December 26th, 2009, 7:20 pm #7

Thanks again for the great site, Clive.

This is the link to the Iltis forum on Yahoo Groups.

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/iltis/

This group has several hundred members, mostly Canadian, and there's frequent chatter from owners wondering about the service history of their specific vehicle(s). Your site can definately help put some of the historical pieces together.

GB

December 28th, 2009, 4:44 pm #8

Hello all,

Here is a little clip of a Sexton being used to help demolish a building to clear some space for some new construction. It looks like there was more explosives inside the building, cuz I am sure that round that was fired was a blank. The camera editing leads me to believe that as well. It is nice to seeing a Sexton working still though.

Cheers,
Colin

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/engl ... 351939.stm

Gord Bennett
Gord Bennett

December 30th, 2009, 12:03 am #9

Ya- i'd say that was a blank shell as well. The breech clearly did not recoil when they fired.
I couldn't see them using live HE in an setting like that in the first place, anyway. Far too dangerous in such a confined space and the possibility of a dud shell passing right through and hitting something else would be to much of a risk.

Cool to see the vehicle still fully operational, though.

GB

December 31st, 2009, 1:05 pm #10

The news story said it was a "ceremonial" firing so I think the original guess is correct that this was indeed a blank round.
Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com