Quiz

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

Quiz

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

April 15th, 2010, 12:30 am #1

Events leading up to the start of the Cold War happened in this building, what is its significance?

Eric Argus
Eric Argus

April 15th, 2010, 1:02 am #2

Igor Gouzenko defected to the RCMP?

Geoff Middleton
Geoff Middleton

April 15th, 2010, 1:08 am #3

Agree - Igor's apartment

David Tremain
David Tremain

April 15th, 2010, 1:27 am #4

There are two plaques across the road from it in the park, one erected by the City, the other by the federal government (Parks Canada), honouring his contribution to the Cold War. In fact, it has been said that his revelations in 1945 really started the Cold War. There was a conference held a few years ago at Library & Archives Canada discussing his role, that of the Canadian government, the US government, the British government etc. I attended this conference, where the likes of Prof. Christopher Andrew from Cambridge University, one of Britain's leading intelligence experts and author of the official history of MI5, presented papers. A big surprise to me was actually meeting two of Gouzenko's daughters who were also there. Others were from the CIA, NSA, ex-RCMP, CSIS, the Camp X Society; if there were any from MI5 or MI6 they were very discreet and weren't publicly acknowledged. CSIS had even put on a display of some of the spy gadgets recently featured in an 'Ottawa Citizen' article. It was an interesting conference.

Doug Townend
Doug Townend

April 15th, 2010, 2:19 am #5

Events leading up to the start of the Cold War happened in this building, what is its significance?

NTxt

April 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm #6

Doug wants to Google Earth the address. I say he's a ruskie!

We've started doing a Cold War event here at Rodd Hill as no one knows anything about it. To most (nearly all) visitors, the fort's history ended in 1945, even though the military saw fit to keep the place open until 1956.

Some of the best conversations I have ever had with the public have taken place at these events. We even have an underground Fortress Plotting Room straight out of Doctor Strangelove that we inhabit for the 2 days.

Very cool photos Ed- thanks.

Jon Skagfeld
Jon Skagfeld

April 15th, 2010, 8:56 pm #7

There are two plaques across the road from it in the park, one erected by the City, the other by the federal government (Parks Canada), honouring his contribution to the Cold War. In fact, it has been said that his revelations in 1945 really started the Cold War. There was a conference held a few years ago at Library & Archives Canada discussing his role, that of the Canadian government, the US government, the British government etc. I attended this conference, where the likes of Prof. Christopher Andrew from Cambridge University, one of Britain's leading intelligence experts and author of the official history of MI5, presented papers. A big surprise to me was actually meeting two of Gouzenko's daughters who were also there. Others were from the CIA, NSA, ex-RCMP, CSIS, the Camp X Society; if there were any from MI5 or MI6 they were very discreet and weren't publicly acknowledged. CSIS had even put on a display of some of the spy gadgets recently featured in an 'Ottawa Citizen' article. It was an interesting conference.
511 Somerset Street, Apt 4.

Credit: Remembering Gouzenko: The Struggle to Honour
a Cold War Hero. Author: Andrew Kavchak.

Printed as an Occasional Paper, Apr 2004, courtesy
The Mackenzie Institute.

Jon Skagfeld
Jon Skagfeld

April 15th, 2010, 8:58 pm #8

NTxt
Doug T...see above.

Doug Townend
Doug Townend

April 15th, 2010, 10:50 pm #9

ntxt

David Tremain
David Tremain

April 15th, 2010, 10:56 pm #10

It's opposite Dundonald Park, Somerset and Lyon.