Questions on Forum Policies - please vote now

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

Questions on Forum Policies - please vote now

October 16th, 2007, 7:16 pm #1

Use of real names:

http://www.network54.com/Votelet/51553

Discussion of current topics:

http://www.network54.com/Votelet/51554

Please feel free to discuss your responses in this thread.
Last edited by dorosh on October 16th, 2007, 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com

October 16th, 2007, 10:25 pm #2

Nice to see that over 80% of respondents agree with me.

J Canuck
J Canuck

October 17th, 2007, 1:36 pm #3

As you may or may not know, there are people here who have somewhat high profile careers. We use aliases for our safety and over all secuity.....

Anonymous
Anonymous

October 17th, 2007, 2:19 pm #4

Last edited by dorosh on October 17th, 2007, 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jaime Cline
Jaime Cline

October 17th, 2007, 2:58 pm #5

Mike, I'm sure it might be a nightmare to set up, but what if you required users to set up an account, where we fill in our information (real name, email address etc), and sign up with a posting id. Those who wish could use their real name, an alias, Ebay id or whatever. Similiar set up to the CEF forum,

Jaime

Dave Hiorth
Dave Hiorth

October 17th, 2007, 3:11 pm #6

I know J Canuck personally. Some of use(not speaking personally) are in positions which if they post there real name will be located via Google or other search engines and then possibly tracked. This may sound paranoid but go ahead Google your name and see what you find. Some people are in positions of power be it judge, special forces, police or other that do not want themselves identified. Just my two cents.

October 17th, 2007, 3:34 pm #7

As you may or may not know, there are people here who have somewhat high profile careers. We use aliases for our safety and over all secuity.....
I'm afraid I don't see a link between posting on a message board with your given name, and a breach of your personal security? Can you give an example?
Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com

Jaime Cline
Jaime Cline

October 17th, 2007, 3:36 pm #8

I know J Canuck personally. Some of use(not speaking personally) are in positions which if they post there real name will be located via Google or other search engines and then possibly tracked. This may sound paranoid but go ahead Google your name and see what you find. Some people are in positions of power be it judge, special forces, police or other that do not want themselves identified. Just my two cents.
Just like the subject mentions, Dave it's a good point you bring up.

Jaime

October 17th, 2007, 3:36 pm #9

Mike, I'm sure it might be a nightmare to set up, but what if you required users to set up an account, where we fill in our information (real name, email address etc), and sign up with a posting id. Those who wish could use their real name, an alias, Ebay id or whatever. Similiar set up to the CEF forum,

Jaime
It's an interesting idea, but I don't like the dynamic of "posting IDs". It seems unprofessional and unnecessary to me in this environment; the majority of posters here seem very comfortable trading information using their real names.  I think doing so simply encourages civility and honesty - without, of course, guaranteeing it.
Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com

October 17th, 2007, 3:38 pm #10

So if I'm a judge, my name is known to the public. What difference does it make if I post my comments on a cap badge on a public website and attach my name to it? I've deliberately chosen to hide IP addresses from public view here. I guess the only one the judge would have to worry about is yours truly - and the only worry he would have would be me figuring out who his internet provider is.
Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com