Photo Quiz

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

Photo Quiz

June 29th, 2008, 1:10 pm #1

a) Which regiment?
b) What is odd about his uniform?
Last edited by dorosh on June 29th, 2008, 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com

John Cameron
John Cameron

June 29th, 2008, 2:11 pm #2

Looks like Princess Louise Fusiliers. The BD Blouse collar is lined and modified and looks like the blouse was shaved, the trousers as well. Also the trousers are missing the map pocket. Black beret?

Dave King
Dave King

June 29th, 2008, 3:15 pm #3

No gongs? No service stripes? No Div or formation sign (i.e. 21 AG)

The reference to "21" Dance Club makes me think 21 Army Group, and also makes me think that the photo is 1944 or 45. How did he get to be a Captain "right out of the box"?

June 29th, 2008, 3:34 pm #4

This might be due to the angle in which they were when the photo was taken, but do the shape of the pips not look odd?

June 29th, 2008, 4:14 pm #5

a) Which regiment?
b) What is odd about his uniform?
This gentleman is wearing US Army OD trousers. That's why there's no map or field dressing pocket, and why there is a colour and texture difference. I thought at first he may have been wearing SD trousers with a BD blouse but they're American.

Dan.

John Cameron
John Cameron

June 29th, 2008, 5:01 pm #6

I think you're right about the trousers... I thought the dressing pocket was just visible, but on reflection it looks like it is the edge of the slit pocket. Makes more sense that it is US trousers, not modified BD.
Service chevrons would be on the right sleeve, not visible, medal ribbons, except for decorations weren't commonly worn until late 44.

June 29th, 2008, 6:35 pm #7

I agree that another anomaly in the photograph is the wearing of a black beret by a member of an infantry unit. Even though the PLF was a unit of the 5th CAD its members would have worn the khaki beret rather than black.

I'm also intrigued by what this officer is carrying in his right hand and why he's holding whatever it is in such a strange way. Is it a fountain pen?

Dan

June 29th, 2008, 8:04 pm #8

He could have been fiddling with the pen when the photo was taken.

James Pringle
James Pringle

June 29th, 2008, 9:26 pm #9

I think it one of those sticks officers liked to carry way back then.

June 29th, 2008, 9:32 pm #10

No gongs? No service stripes? No Div or formation sign (i.e. 21 AG)

The reference to "21" Dance Club makes me think 21 Army Group, and also makes me think that the photo is 1944 or 45. How did he get to be a Captain "right out of the box"?
I am thinking perhaps that once these guys reported to the Leave Centre, they turned in their regular uniforms for a wash. That might explain the absence of the ribbons. There is a photo of the fellow whose pictures these belong to in unbadged BD and wearing a khaki beret with a Highland regiment cap badge. I suspect it was loaner stuff while they were on leave and the real stuff was being dry cleaned. I believe this is 1945.

Given he has regimental insignia on his BD, that is probably not the case with his blouse. Incidentally, are those the correct shoulder titles for the PLF?

It may, however, explain the dark colour of the beret - either a very dark unissued khaki or possibly a black, being all they had to issue out from spares?

Might it also explain why he is in American trousers?
Last edited by dorosh on July 1st, 2008, 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com