Photo of soldier with medal....

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

Photo of soldier with medal....

Jo Garnier
Jo Garnier

December 13th, 2013, 9:07 pm #1

Hello gentlemen,a question for those with the knowledge.....When a canadian officer or soldier was awarded a medal,either a DSO, an MC, a DCM, or a MM....was there always a picture taken of the ceremony, let say at Buckhingham Palace, whether with the King or just after and, where can I find this photograph in the canadian archives.

Thanks for your help

Jo

December 14th, 2013, 1:28 pm #2

Funny you ask this Jo. I was going to ask the same question, sort of. I have a man in my collection. James Rycroft. He was awarded the D.C.M. and M.M. but seems to have disappeared. I can't find a photo of him anywhere. I had a devil of a time even finding his burial place (even though I had the cemetery, section and lot number). His marker was buried under about 5 inches of earth at the top of the stone, and only a very little corner sticking out of the bottom.

All that has been corrected. His new marker stands proudly in the cemetery, as it all should.

December 14th, 2013, 1:29 pm #3

the above post was me, I am not anonymous

Clive M. Law - Service Publications

December 14th, 2013, 5:45 pm #4

If you know the date of the presentation then you can often find a photo at LAC. Remember that very few presentations were done at the Palace and these were usually VCs. I have had success in finding a few of these 'field' presentations.

December 14th, 2013, 5:47 pm #5

Jo Garnier
Jo Garnier

December 14th, 2013, 7:32 pm #6

Hi Clive......In my case,I'm researching a FMR soldier who won an MM for escaping afetr being taken prisonner at Dieppe. He received it in 1943 so, that's why I thought he may have had a ceremony at the Palace like Corporal Alfred Daoust MM of the FMR and Sergeant E.L.Dixon MM of the Essex Scottish, on 27 October 1942,see Nac Mikan No.3592417.......so is it possible that the one I'm looking for, got his at the same time or on a different day...???? .

Thanks

Jo

December 14th, 2013, 8:04 pm #7

Like many brigadiers he still wears his former regimental kit; in this case adding black buttons to his gorget patches and a black leather chinstrap to his forage cap. The red lanyard and shoulder badges suggest a former Regina Rifles officer. The coloured bar identifies him positively as commanding the 7th Canadian Brigade.

Nice colour photo showing the blanco on the web belt, also.

Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com

Jo Garnier
Jo Garnier

December 14th, 2013, 9:06 pm #8

If I'm not mistaken this Brigadier John Godfrey Spragge,OBE,DSO, former CO of the QOR on D-Day....He took over 7th Brigade from Harry Foster......when he took command of 4th CAD in September 1944.

Jo

December 14th, 2013, 9:12 pm #9

If you know the date of the presentation then you can often find a photo at LAC. Remember that very few presentations were done at the Palace and these were usually VCs. I have had success in finding a few of these 'field' presentations.
It took a while for me to identify, but the brigadier is Jock Spragge. He was a pre-war militiaman enlisting as a private (rifleman) in 1925. He became a brigadier at age 37; not the youngest, but still young for the rank. He won the DSO for his actions as CO of the QOR on D-Day and in the ensuing combat. His OBE was awarded for his time as CO of his battalion and periods as acting brigade commander prior to the invasion.

I couldn't find the date of his investiture. Nor could I find anything about what happened to him after the war.

Cheers,
Dan.

<h5>Royal Winnipeg Rifles Captain at left, Brigadier Spragge on right</h5>

December 14th, 2013, 9:13 pm #10

ntxt.