P08 web bayonet frog

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

P08 web bayonet frog

John Mullen
John Mullen

September 28th, 2008, 4:20 pm #1

Hello
After searching for for an original P08 web bayonet frog in good shape for eternity, I have given up and decoded to make one myself. Can any of the members give me the exact dimensions of one of these. I need the total length, and the lenght of the small 1" strap on the rear for the helve carrier. Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks
John

Dave Hiorth
Dave Hiorth

September 28th, 2008, 9:57 pm #2

I do not know your location but if you come to my store I have one in stock and you can take all the pictures you want to.

John Mullen
John Mullen

September 28th, 2008, 10:39 pm #3

Hello Dave

Many thanks for the most generous offer. I am in Windsor, so I would have to arrange to come up and see you. I will keep your offer in mind.Would you know anywhere that I might get my hands on a frog. Please let me know.

Many thanks
John

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

September 29th, 2008, 2:13 am #4

Hello
After searching for for an original P08 web bayonet frog in good shape for eternity, I have given up and decoded to make one myself. Can any of the members give me the exact dimensions of one of these. I need the total length, and the lenght of the small 1" strap on the rear for the helve carrier. Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks
John
John, here are some images. The Bayonet Frog is not the hard item to find, it is the Helve Carrier. Rather than making one, if you wait a bit, one is sure to turn up.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Geoff Robinson
Geoff Robinson

September 29th, 2008, 2:16 am #5

Hello Dave

Many thanks for the most generous offer. I am in Windsor, so I would have to arrange to come up and see you. I will keep your offer in mind.Would you know anywhere that I might get my hands on a frog. Please let me know.

Many thanks
John
Try Collectors Source (near Toronto) as they have them occasionally. Also, there is Great War Militaria out of the states. They likely have one or two.

Both sites can be found on a google search.

John Mullen
John Mullen

September 29th, 2008, 9:53 am #6

Hello

Many thanks
John
Hello
Many thanks for the information on the P08web frog. I appreciate your input,also thanks for the pictures Ed.

Regards
John

September 29th, 2008, 1:26 pm #7

My P08 frog is unfortunately in storage or I would provide you exact measurements. Ed's photos should give you a good guide, however, if you use the width of the web belt as a starting point and work from there. I had started to do up scale drawings of 1937 Pattern web gear for the website for just such a question but never got to the P1908 stuff.
Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com

September 29th, 2008, 1:50 pm #8

Like you, I went out and made my own helve carrier and was pleased with the results even though I had no access to industrial tools.
Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com

John Mullen
John Mullen

September 29th, 2008, 9:35 pm #9

Hello
Many thanks for the information on the P08web frog. I appreciate your input,also thanks for the pictures Ed.

Regards
John
Hello Michael
Unfortunately no one did supply the measurements, but judging from the pictures I guess I could figure it out easily enough.I appreciate all the input.

Regards
John

September 29th, 2008, 10:48 pm #10

Of assistance is the fact that the web straps were made in pretty standard widths - 1/2", 1", 2", etc. so eyeballing length from the photos should get you in the ball park if all you are doing is dressing a mannequin or getting a living history display ready.

Good luck.
Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com