Order of Canada for sale again!

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

Order of Canada for sale again!

Justin Cuffe
Justin Cuffe

August 25th, 2008, 7:02 pm #1

Here is another Order of Canada for sale on eBay. When will people learn that Canada's highest awards should not be sold as trinket.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 0290136011

Michael Dorosh
Michael Dorosh

August 25th, 2008, 7:43 pm #2

900 dollars is not a trinket - it is a valuable collectible and should ensure it goes to someone who will value it as such.

No?

Haven't we had this discussion before?

Would it be better if the medal went in the trash?

Justin Cuffe
Justin Cuffe

August 26th, 2008, 3:57 pm #3

I certainly wasn't considering the honour as cheap and worthless. It just bothers me to see Canada's highest award sold in such a public manner as eBay.

We saw several months ago the same situation happen with one of the original 1967 ones and eBay did the right thing, in my opinion, and pulled it off the site. I don't see why this should be any different.

The Constitution of the Order does stipulate that the insignia of the Order shall remain the property of the Order, unless an exception is otherwise made in an Ordinance.

Anyways, those are just my thought and opinions.

Justin

Michael Dorosh
Michael Dorosh

August 26th, 2008, 6:09 pm #4

Okay, so what happens when the bestowee dies? If someone is left intestate, that means it returns to the Order.

What does that mean?

It sits in a trophy case in Rideau Hall? Or worse, a drawer?

In all honesty, how many people would recognize the insignia of the Order of Canada if they found it among a relative's possessions upon their death? A lot, hopefully. I am sure many would not. What guarantees are there that the medal gets returned "to the Order" in such a case?

Do they put it next to Alan Eagleson's insignia? Talk about prestige!

Roger Lucy
Roger Lucy

August 27th, 2008, 11:35 am #5

I certainly wasn't considering the honour as cheap and worthless. It just bothers me to see Canada's highest award sold in such a public manner as eBay.

We saw several months ago the same situation happen with one of the original 1967 ones and eBay did the right thing, in my opinion, and pulled it off the site. I don't see why this should be any different.

The Constitution of the Order does stipulate that the insignia of the Order shall remain the property of the Order, unless an exception is otherwise made in an Ordinance.

Anyways, those are just my thought and opinions.

Justin
I have been told that the Chancery often reissues returned Orders of Canada, for example ones turned in when the recipient is upgraded from a memmber (CM) to an Officer (OC). Frankly I don't see what the fuss is about, collecting orders and decorations is a perfectly legitimate hobby and one that stimulates historical research. The pity about the one on ebay is that it seems be offered for sale with possibly unassociated wartime medals and divorced of all historical context.Where is the award document (itself a work of art) or the citation? The happy buyer should have lots interesting work ahead tracking down this particular Order's recipient.

August 27th, 2008, 1:20 pm #6

Thank you for that information; very interesting.

They really do need to start putting names on all these things, as per Bill A's comment in the other medals thread...what price valour, eh?
Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com

Gord Bennett
Gord Bennett

August 27th, 2008, 3:59 pm #7

I believe the person putting the items up for public auction knows what he has and knows Ebay policy because nowhere does he mention what the gem actually is. It's up to you, the consumer to identify and bid on it hopefully without the Ebay cops being aroused.
As well, I would assume the medal would be engraved with the specific person's name and date for historical reference. I find it hard to believe my CD for twelve years of undetected crime would have my name engraved on it but not the highest award a Canadian can possibly get.

Roger Lucy
Roger Lucy

August 27th, 2008, 6:19 pm #8

I can assure you, the Order of Canada is not named, it has a serial number (which presumably could be traced through the Chancery) and the maker's hall mark. My example (more or less honestly acquired) is #186 and it was made by Garrards in 1972. It was awarded in 1980, yet over 100 CMs are issued each year, which would seem to indicate that this one may be one of the recycled gongs.
Roger

Christopher Furlotte
Christopher Furlotte

August 27th, 2008, 11:55 pm #9

Roger, Just curious as to how and when you were awarded the O.of C.!?

Haven't seen you in a wee while....'

Cheers

Chris

Clive M. Law - Service Publications
Clive M. Law - Service Publications

August 28th, 2008, 12:31 am #10

Roger may be too shy to respond to Chris' question so I will.

For a glorified account of how Roger earned his CM I refer you to that terrible made-for-TV production "The Canadian Caper". Within the Department of Foreign Affairs Roger is often referred to as 'the guy who locked up the Canadian embassy when they snuck the Americans out of Iran'.

Thanks to various jubilees Roger is starting to look like a South American dictator (which, coincidentally, suits his temperament and politics).