Operation Kangaroo

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

Operation Kangaroo

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

July 16th, 2008, 9:40 am #1

Anyone ever heard of Operation Kangaroo that was held in the Western Desert?

[/IMG]

July 16th, 2008, 11:02 am #2

Would this be reference to a postwar exercise in the Australian Western Desert?
Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com

Michael Dorosh
Michael Dorosh

July 16th, 2008, 2:32 pm #3

Hmm...the reason I suggested post-war Australian was...

a) use of the early type Sherman/Ram chassis on the APC. AFAIK, the Ram Kangaroo was not used until after the fighting in the North African desert had concluded
b) Australia has a Western Desert

However, the caption states Operation rather than Exercise, which may be significant also.

I do vaguely recall that some turretless Rams were called Wallabies and used as ammunition carriers. Wallaby is an Australian marsupial...

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

July 29th, 2008, 9:30 pm #4

Anyone ever heard of Operation Kangaroo that was held in the Western Desert?

[/IMG]
According to information provided on another forum, the Ram (gun tank) was transfered to the British in July 1945. So it looks like it was turned into a Kangaroo and then used in Egypt following the Second World War, therefore the images certainly show Post-War British soldiers.

Michael Reintjes
Michael Reintjes

July 29th, 2008, 10:12 pm #5

maybe its my eyes but they look to be carrying No5 Jungle Carbines which also suggest post war to me especially in the desert. M.

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

July 29th, 2008, 11:13 pm #6

I agree, it looks to me like there are some No. 5 Rifles and even Mk III or IV helmets in the photo.