Non-eBay online auctions?

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

Non-eBay online auctions?

Kevin Green
Kevin Green

March 28th, 2007, 4:31 pm #1

Just a quick question here; I have just been given a pile of RCMP uniforms and kit to sell but of course eBay disallows it. Are there any other credible online auctions that you know of where I could flog this kit? It seems to me that Yahoo ran one at one time.

Thanks.

KG

Jaime
Jaime

March 28th, 2007, 4:52 pm #2

Kevin, Don't know if you can still get space or not, but I always have buyers looking at Calgary for RCMP stuff.

The market seems to be down on them a bit, unless they are 50's or older.

Good luck with them at least for us,
Jaime

Michael Dorosh
Michael Dorosh

March 28th, 2007, 4:56 pm #3

Just a quick question here; I have just been given a pile of RCMP uniforms and kit to sell but of course eBay disallows it. Are there any other credible online auctions that you know of where I could flog this kit? It seems to me that Yahoo ran one at one time.

Thanks.

KG
ePier seems to be a competitor for eBay, you may want to examine them also.

Kevin Green
Kevin Green

March 28th, 2007, 6:12 pm #4

Kevin, Don't know if you can still get space or not, but I always have buyers looking at Calgary for RCMP stuff.

The market seems to be down on them a bit, unless they are 50's or older.

Good luck with them at least for us,
Jaime
Thanks both of you. I shall look into that. Nothing pre '50's Jamie but some nice stuff like arctic parka, breeks, peacoat etc. Some slightly less common articles. The chap has also given me his entire soapstone and ivory collection to sell but that can go on eBay.

Thanks again.

Kevin

Jaime
Jaime

March 28th, 2007, 6:34 pm #5

Good Luck with the other pieces too!
Jaime

John Cameron
John Cameron

March 28th, 2007, 8:48 pm #6

Thanks both of you. I shall look into that. Nothing pre '50's Jamie but some nice stuff like arctic parka, breeks, peacoat etc. Some slightly less common articles. The chap has also given me his entire soapstone and ivory collection to sell but that can go on eBay.

Thanks again.

Kevin
Along with the prohibition on offering RCMP collectables, Ebay also has rules about ivory. A lot of Innuit ivory carvings are made from whale teeth or narwhal tusks. Generally EBay allows these, but a CITES (Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species) permit may be required to export these from Canada. At the museum, we had trouble even loaning a 400 year old narwhal ivory handled knife for an exhibit in the US.
Check out http://www.cites.ec.gc.ca/ and good luck.

Kevin Green
Kevin Green

March 28th, 2007, 9:33 pm #7

John, You're right. I looked into that already and CITES does have something to say reagarding that, in that it is exportable with a permit but not all countries can accept them. It's walrus in this case. A bit off military topic so email me if you like.

Kevin greeno"AT"shaw.ca