New variety of bogus 1 Can Para

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

New variety of bogus 1 Can Para

Bill A
Bill A

November 30th, 2007, 11:24 am #1

This vendor has a repro variety that I have not previously seen.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Canada-Military-Sho ... dZViewItem

Bill A
Bill A

November 30th, 2007, 11:34 am #2

Paul Harrison
Paul Harrison

December 1st, 2007, 5:37 pm #3

This is the same seller who sold EBay Item number: 220147600143. He does mainly stamps and coins. It was an outstanding example of an original ORs BD to a 1 Can Para vet with provenance. I looked over the pics and as far as I could see that BD is 100% original. I'd be curious to see if the seller would let anyone know the story on the BD, and if any of these other suspect badges were from the same source. IF all this was from the same vet, is it possible that the 1 Can Para flash was a manufacturers sample made late/post war in London?? It looks to be a British made glue back, and the colours are correct for one pattern of the Parachute Regiment flash. (Sky Blue on Maroon). If nothing else, it is priced according to its suspected value, and I fully agree it is not an example that has any documented provenance and doubt it's an original. To date, it's the first one I have ever seen. Bill, you may be able to comment WRT any other examples like this one that may have previuosly appeared. WRT the Cap Badge, it almost looks like a brass example that has been coated.

Gary Boegel
Gary Boegel

December 3rd, 2007, 2:40 am #4

I know the person that bought the tunic you mention. Unfortunately, there was no provenance with it, other than it belonged to a veteran who jumped at the Rhine Crossing, the same story that he's giving on the pieces that are currently for sale, although he does note that he was wounded badly at the Rhine. The seller gave a story about getting the tunic from the son of the veteran, but would not disclose the name of the vet to the buyer. The tunic is absolutely right though, no question about it.

And now he's posted these items stating that there is a link to Nova Scotia, which actually turned out to be a good thing for the guy that bought the BD. The Nova Scotia link got me to thinking, as I travel there every year and know or knew most of the 1CPB vets in the province. I went to visit a NS veteran about 5 years ago and he still had his tunic and a few other things, mostly paperwork. I interviewed him for my book and when I was done, I photographed his BD for reference. The next year that I went down, I spoke with him again and he told me that he gave his BD to some guy at the local shopping mall. I'm not sure if there was an antique show or if perhaps there might have been a display for Remembrance Day. Either way, he met some guy at the show who expressed an interest in his tunic so he gave it away.

When the seller put up these items and mentioned that it was from a veteran in Nova Scotia, it reminded me of the tunic that I had handled a few years before. So I dug out a photo and sure enough, it's the tunic that was sold on ebay a few months ago. I'm 100% certain of it as there are some distinctive characteristics to the badges and how they are sewn on. So now the veteran has been identified to the tunic, which I think is great.

As to the story of the seller, it's not true at all. The veteran that owned this tunic was involved in the Rhine crossing, but he was a member of the Transport Section, Headquarters Company. He was not badly wounded; in fact, he was not wounded at all. He did cross the Rhine, but it was in his Jeep via a bridge. The tunic didn't come from his son either. As wtih anything that's on ebay, don't pay more for something based on an undocumented story.

In my opinion, the cloth shoulder flash is exactly what the seller has stated, a fantasy piece. At no point did the Battalion ever wear any insignia with the designation "1st", they were always 1 Canadian Parachute Battalion. Also the colours are not correct for the Battalion, they should be dark green, maroon and white.

The cap badge is simply an Association piece for veterans who did't have an original or didn't want to wear an original for association functions.

Bill A
Bill A

December 3rd, 2007, 3:12 pm #5

Gary, That is an interesting story about the provenance of the tunic. It got me thinking a bit about the survival of uniforms and their scarcity. I am going to start another string on that topic.
The vendor changed the listing after I emailed him about the problem with the title.

Gary Boegel
Gary Boegel

December 3rd, 2007, 6:44 pm #6

I had always wondered what happend to his tunic. I thoguth it would have gone into a collection never to be seen again. It's amazing when things come full circle like this.

I noticed that he changed his auction and figured it must have been because someone emailed him about what he had. Im sure that whoever brought the stuff into his shop gave him the story which was passed along.

Ken Joyce
Ken Joyce

December 4th, 2007, 6:29 pm #7

I agree with Gary on this esp. the brass badge. These are found on 1CPBA cards. They are cast.

Gary Boegel
Gary Boegel

December 5th, 2007, 9:46 pm #8

I had always wondered what happend to his tunic. I thoguth it would have gone into a collection never to be seen again. It's amazing when things come full circle like this.

I noticed that he changed his auction and figured it must have been because someone emailed him about what he had. Im sure that whoever brought the stuff into his shop gave him the story which was passed along.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Canada-Military-Cap ... dZViewItem

Good example of people paying for a story.

This badge can be purchased from the Association...

From the last Newsletter:

BN-004 Cap Badges, 1 Can Para, Antique Brass $8.00

David Soltess
David Soltess

December 7th, 2007, 12:55 am #9

nt

December 7th, 2007, 2:58 am #10

hmmm...strange???