New to the Scene

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

New to the Scene

March 26th, 2007, 4:06 am #1

Hi Everyone,

I came across this website a few years ago, and I've been consulting it on a fairly regular basis ever since. I've been collecting for a few years now, but I'm still pretty new to the whole scene. Unfortunately my status as a university student severely limits my financial means, thereby limiting my ability to pick up some items I would really like to, but I do what I can.
I've been reading through some of the posts on the forum here, and I was wondering how you all hear about the various militaria shows in and around Ontario? I scoured the net a few months back trying to find any, without much success.

Thanks,

Fletcher Johnston

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

March 26th, 2007, 9:26 am #2

Many are word of mouth or listed in collectors magazines. Once you have been to one you can get the fliers for the others as they are usually at the admissions table. The Ottawa Militaria show is on the April 15 at the Nepean Sportsplex, it is a good show with some interesting stuff.

March 26th, 2007, 1:42 pm #3

Thanks for the quick reply, Ed. Unfortunately for me, the 15th falls right in the middle of my exams. Are there any shows during the summer months?
Also, could you point me in the direction of a good collector's magazine? Are there any Canadian ones? I looked around a while back, and of course found the French Militaria magazine, but I couldn't find any Canadian publications.

Thanks,
Fletcher Johnston

Jaime Cline
Jaime Cline

March 26th, 2007, 3:44 pm #4

Hi, welcome to the boards.There are two main collecting clubs in Canada, the MCC of C (Military Collectors' Club of Canada), and the CSMMI (CANADIAN SOCIETY OF MILITARY MEDALS & INSIGNIA). Both publish a quaterly magazine with articles, dealer & show listings etc. I think both are only around $25 per year to join, not too expensive, considering all the collectors & Dealers you may be able to network with. Also the MCC has a military e-mart newsletter for members with by/sell trade items.

There is a show in Etobicoke on June 23rd, and there is a joint national convention for teh MCC & CSMMI in St. Catharines in August. Both should be good shows,

Bye the way, what do you collect?

Jaime

Jaime
Jaime

March 26th, 2007, 3:50 pm #5

Forgot to post in the message before,
Jaime

http://www.marway-militaria.com/mcc_club_page.htm

March 26th, 2007, 4:55 pm #6

Hi Jaime,

Thanks a ton for all that information. I will definitely be joining the MCC of C.
As far as my collection goes, I've been focusing mainly on American, British, and Canadian web equipment and field equipment, mostly because my financial situation as a student precludes me from getting into most other things. One of my main interests lies in the history of the various manufacturers of the equipment, and I am currently in the process of researching GITS Molding (a maker of the US TL-122 model flashlights) and also Zephyr Loom and Textiles Ltd, the well known Canadian webbing manufacturer. So far my research into GITS hasn't turned up much, but my Zephyr research has started to bear fruit. If anyone is interested in what I've come across so far, let me know and I'd be happy to post it.

Fletcher Johnston

Clive M. Law - Service Publications
Clive M. Law - Service Publications

March 26th, 2007, 8:50 pm #7

I take great interest in this copany as I was, I believe, the guy who discovered what the intials stood for. This was discovered while researching "Canadian Military Handguns, 1855-1985" way back in the late 1980's. The other major manufacture was MS&U (Montreal Suspender and Umbrella - no kidding!)
On Dec 31, 1945, ZL&T disappeared and was renamed TIL (Textile Industries Ltd.)
Good luck in your research. I would appreciate any updates you wish to share.
PS. Welcome to the forum.

Stephen
Stephen

March 26th, 2007, 11:06 pm #8

Hi Everyone,

I came across this website a few years ago, and I've been consulting it on a fairly regular basis ever since. I've been collecting for a few years now, but I'm still pretty new to the whole scene. Unfortunately my status as a university student severely limits my financial means, thereby limiting my ability to pick up some items I would really like to, but I do what I can.
I've been reading through some of the posts on the forum here, and I was wondering how you all hear about the various militaria shows in and around Ontario? I scoured the net a few months back trying to find any, without much success.

Thanks,

Fletcher Johnston
http://www.grimshaw-military.on.ca/site/events.cfm

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

March 26th, 2007, 11:37 pm #9

I take great interest in this copany as I was, I believe, the guy who discovered what the intials stood for. This was discovered while researching "Canadian Military Handguns, 1855-1985" way back in the late 1980's. The other major manufacture was MS&U (Montreal Suspender and Umbrella - no kidding!)
On Dec 31, 1945, ZL&T disappeared and was renamed TIL (Textile Industries Ltd.)
Good luck in your research. I would appreciate any updates you wish to share.
PS. Welcome to the forum.
Although Clive may have been the first to publish the meaning of the ZL&T initials, both company names were well known in the web collecting community throughout the 1980s. At that time the information had been gleaned from original packing slips found with bundles of unissued web in the UK.

March 27th, 2007, 12:15 am #10

Here is the information that I have thus far been able to accumulate with regards to ZL&T.
I gathered most of this from a recent visit to the Guelph Civic Museum, where the assistant curator Kathleen Wall was very accommodating in giving me access to the ZL&T file. The file contains two original newsletters published by ZL&T, called "WEB", as well as a small blurb describing the history of the company.

Zephyr Loom and Textiles Ltd opened in 1936, and was at that time owned by the US conglomerate. As far as I was able to discern, its main business at that point was government contracts for webbing equipment.
During the war, the company had 4 factories:
1) The Office, Warping and Weaving, Located on Crawford St.
2) Sewing, Located at 72 Farquhar St. (now home to JP Hammill and Sons Ltd)
3) Weaving, Located on Huskisson St. (Huskisson St. has subsequently be renamed Wyndham St in 1956, after William Huskisson, the Colonial Secretary) (the building is now an apartment building)
4) Sewing, Located at 135 Oxford St. (now a retirement home and apartments)

Contracts were plentiful throughout 1940 and 1941, with the government placing many orders in excess of $50,000. However, it seems that by 1943 the web equipment contracts were slowing down. Indeed, in October of 1943 the ZL&T Newsletter states that the 50 Millionth piece of military web equipment was produced (a small pack) at plant 4. The Globe and Mail states on November 19th, 1943 that due to fulfillment of government contracts and also lack of materials, all production was suspended at one plant and greatly curtailed at the remaining 3. The article continues, stating that during October of 1943 nearly 200 people (mostly women) were laid off, and that the largest number had been laid off in the ten days before the publication of the article. At its peak the company employed nearly 2000 employees, but by November of 1943 had less than 500.
After WWII that company was bought by local businessmen (I have next to no information regarding this) and produced woven fabrics as well as having a franchise to make "Tom Boy" and "American Golfer" clothing.
In 1957 the company became "Textile Industries", and introduced the Wyndham fashion line.
Textile Industries closed in 1980 after several layoffs.

When I was in Guelph I visited the buildings on Oxford and Farquhar Streets, and took several pictures. It is interesting to note that JP Hammill and Sons still seems to be in the business of producing clothing.

Fletcher Johnston