New Title From Vanwell - The Storm Boat Kings

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

New Title From Vanwell - The Storm Boat Kings

John Sliz
John Sliz

March 30th, 2009, 8:58 pm #1

It has taken a few years, but finally Vanwell has published my book on the 23rd Field Company, Royal Canadian Engineer's part in the evacuation of the British Airborne troops at Arnhem. It is 128 pages, soft cover and is filled with dozens of never seen before b+w photos.
To order, please visit www.vanwell.com and look under new books. Also, it is listed on Chapters and on Amazon.
The back cover reads:
THE EPIC BATTLE of the British 1st Airborne Division at Arnhem in 1944, has been told many times, but so far the story of how they were evacuated across the River Rhine has only been merely touched upon. This is the story of how the Royal Canadian Engineers not only supported the Royal Engineers, but ferried the lions share of the Airborne troops across the flooded river under less than ideal conditions.
One unit in particular, the 23rd Field Company, Royal Canadian Engineers would find fame because of their expert handling of the Storm Boats and for their bravery. Unfortunately, glory came at a high cost to a unit that would soon earn the nickname, The Storm Boat Kings.

April 4th, 2009, 6:54 pm #2

Sounds like an interesting book - unfortunately I couldn't find any information on it at the Vanwell site - is there a direct link to more info? Were you going to have a website for the book? Sounds like a very worthy topic of study, thanks for sharing this with us.
Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com

Dave Hiorth
Dave Hiorth

April 4th, 2009, 7:24 pm #3

You can pick this up or look at it in person at the Calgary show next week as the publisher will be there

Clive M. Law - Service Publications
Clive M. Law - Service Publications

April 4th, 2009, 7:55 pm #4

An inside joke that Dave will understand

Dave Hiorth
Dave Hiorth

April 4th, 2009, 11:45 pm #5

To reduce friendly fire I will make sure to have a lid and vest on just in case. Good luck

John Sliz
John Sliz

April 6th, 2009, 12:35 am #6

Sounds like an interesting book - unfortunately I couldn't find any information on it at the Vanwell site - is there a direct link to more info? Were you going to have a website for the book? Sounds like a very worthy topic of study, thanks for sharing this with us.
Try: http://www.vanwell.com/books/newbooks.php

John Sliz
John Sliz

April 6th, 2009, 6:42 pm #7

An inside joke that Dave will understand
Clive, remember: me friend. Hold your fire! Or do I have to buy a lid and vest from Dave?

John Sliz
John Sliz

April 7th, 2009, 5:56 pm #8

You can pick this up or look at it in person at the Calgary show next week as the publisher will be there
Where is the show in Calgary?

Dave Hiorth
Dave Hiorth

April 7th, 2009, 10:55 pm #9

It is at the roundup centre at the stampede grounds

John Sliz
John Sliz

April 9th, 2009, 1:20 am #10

Thanks Dave,

When you see a very very tall guy there, it is my cousin. Be nice to him.