New Title from Service Publications - Into the Maelstrom

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

New Title from Service Publications - Into the Maelstrom

July 12th, 2007, 4:16 am #1

Service Publications is now taking orders for "Into the Maelstrom" the History, Insignia and Uniforms of the 1st Canadian Parachute Battalion by Ken Jones, a frequent contributor to this forum.

This important new bookk runs 206 pages and features over 370 illustrations (with 20 pages of colour images). All aspects of the Battalion as well as the S-14/A-35 training centres are included. This book has been over ten years in the making.

The bok has now been printed and is in transit from China. It is scheduled to be delivered on August 10 at which time all advance orders will be shipped.

Copies can be ordered on-line at www.servicepub.com/maelstrom.htm or from your favourite militaria dealer or specialty bookseller.
Retail Price is CDN$59.95.

Last edited by dorosh on July 12th, 2007, 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doug Townend
Doug Townend

July 12th, 2007, 6:39 pm #2

I saw the final draft last summer and I can assure all that this is a book well worth acquiring!!

DT.

AJ Lockard
AJ Lockard

July 12th, 2007, 7:13 pm #3

Aside from the publisher's attempts to get his own author's name right, I was interested in the assertion that the book is "important."

A look at any bibliography will show a long list of books already in print about 1 Canadian Parachute Battalion.

Perhaps we can get a rundown of how this book will be different from the others? The original posting was lean on detail. Will the publisher's website have sample pages available for review?

What gaps in the existing literature will Mr. Joyce's book fill? The subtitle seems to indicate an emphasis on material subjects - clothing, equipment, etc. Is this accurate?

Given his recent work on the SSF, one naturally expects good things, just wondering what the thrust of the book will be, particularly with regards to how useful it might be to someone already possessing a good amount of the literature extant on 1 Can Para.

Michael Dorosh
Michael Dorosh

July 12th, 2007, 8:14 pm #4

I also saw a draft last summer; if I recall correctly, this is a good general interest book with considerably more images than the SSF book. I recall a lot of detailed discussion of insignia, with more detail than Grimshaw's book. The history also seemed more detailed than the various primers by Bernd Horn, but I don't own many 1st Can Para books beyond that so can't provide any other details or comparisons.

I was impressed by the quality of the layout and the research, and the number of what I presumed to be previously unpublished photos.

Ken Joyce
Ken Joyce

July 13th, 2007, 12:34 am #5

This book is mainly about the uniforms and insignia. It covers practically all available archival info on this short lived battalion. Not only historically but also in relation to their material culture history. The history is done in a by-date chronological order and covers many issues not covered in Horn's books. For one, I did not want to get sucked into the propaganda over the raising of parachute troops in the Canadian Army. One lesson I have learned, is never to quote newspapers for historical facts. Back then newspapers were used by DND to broadcast their propaganda and to cover up things they did not want the public to know. Headlines claiming that Canada's parachute battalion was to be the "tip of the spear" and that it was pointed towards the third Reich, this was all propaganda. In fact the DND, up till June 1942, had no intention of raising parachute troops. It was a mixture of events that ultimately created a parachute battalion. This is covered in the book.

The information on the material culture is related so that the most complete story can be told. Most of this information is derived from the official record in Canada, the US and the UK. Who requested the insignia, who designed it, difficulties in this process, how many were initially made, variations, regulations regarding their wear, including Canadian Army Routine Orders, CAOverseasRO, Battalion Orders, School/Center Orders, Orders from 3 Para Brigade, 6th Airborne Division and the British Airborne Corps. Sections on jump clothing, helmets etc. contain new information.

Another appeal of this book is that it brings forward detailed info not only on the battalion but also information on US and British insignia, uniforms, helmets etc. This is what was so unique about Canada's parachute battalion. Because Canada's parachute aspirations only amounted to a battalion and a Center ( later training Battalion ) there was no need ( and no time ) for Canada to create their own equipment. So they tested and adopted the jump clothing and equipment of their Allies. The story of their evolution is explained.

The book also gives the reader a good idea of how the various branches within the DND operated and how they went about creating badges and insignia during the war years.

This project did not only involve the work of Clive Law and the author, but a large number of World collectors and experts on airborne history and its material culture.

Clive and I also intend to have a book done on the FSSF/474/99 in the near future. This will be a stunning book with the same quality of research, archival material, expert input and never before seen photographs.

Anyway I hope this is a satisfactory overview. I am in a bit of a hurry.

Ken Joyce
Ken Joyce

July 13th, 2007, 12:37 am #6

Thanks guys for all the kind comments. I hope you like the final product.

July 13th, 2007, 1:07 am #7

Aside from the publisher's attempts to get his own author's name right, I was interested in the assertion that the book is "important."

A look at any bibliography will show a long list of books already in print about 1 Canadian Parachute Battalion.

Perhaps we can get a rundown of how this book will be different from the others? The original posting was lean on detail. Will the publisher's website have sample pages available for review?

What gaps in the existing literature will Mr. Joyce's book fill? The subtitle seems to indicate an emphasis on material subjects - clothing, equipment, etc. Is this accurate?

Given his recent work on the SSF, one naturally expects good things, just wondering what the thrust of the book will be, particularly with regards to how useful it might be to someone already possessing a good amount of the literature extant on 1 Can Para.
Mike - Thanks for altering the subject line.
AJ - If you know any of my books then you know that it will concentrate on the materiel culture. And yes, there are (and have been for a couple of months) sample pages at the page indicated in my original post (www.servicepub.com/maelstrom.htm). And good for you in catching that I didn't get the author's name right. Instead I credited my family doctor with the book. This has almost become a standing joke between Ken Joyce and I. I have since apologised to Ken and feel under no compunction to do so to anybody else - in spite of the tone of your posting.
To everyone else. The final product exceeds what I showed around earlier and I believe that individuals interested in the insignia of this unit will agree with my statement that it is, indeed, an "important" book.

John Cameron
John Cameron

July 13th, 2007, 1:17 am #8

I saw the printer's proof several days ago and I can say that the description of this work as "important" is less than what it deserves. The images are clear and most of them have never been published as far as I'm aware. There are excellent detail shots of badges, insignia and equipment from some of the major collections of 1 Can Para militaria. There are clear scans of original documents and certificates, and the details regarding the special purpose uniform items are alone worth the cost of the book.
I no longer collect Para related militaria, but this book will be going into my library. Well done, Ken, Clive, and the contributors.

Greg Nehring
Greg Nehring

July 13th, 2007, 1:57 am #9

I just bought Ken's book. Assuming it arrives before the MCC of C show in St. Catharines, will Ken be there to sign it?

Cheers,

Greg

Roger Lucy
Roger Lucy

July 20th, 2007, 8:51 pm #10

I saw the printer's proof several days ago and I can say that the description of this work as "important" is less than what it deserves. The images are clear and most of them have never been published as far as I'm aware. There are excellent detail shots of badges, insignia and equipment from some of the major collections of 1 Can Para militaria. There are clear scans of original documents and certificates, and the details regarding the special purpose uniform items are alone worth the cost of the book.
I no longer collect Para related militaria, but this book will be going into my library. Well done, Ken, Clive, and the contributors.
I had a chance to review the helmet chapter. Ken has done an awful lot of excellent primary research, going not only to Canadian archives but to the British and USA ones as well. Ken and I have had the odd academic cat-fight on the finer details of British para helmets, but in his new book he provides everything you you would ever want to know on the subject (and on US ones too).