New publication coming out!

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

New publication coming out!

Christopher Furlotte
Christopher Furlotte

September 27th, 2014, 10:26 pm #1

This book is going to be released in March 2015 and it looks like it's going to be controversial as well by the sounds of it! I'll be looking forward to reading it asap.

http://www.amazon.ca/Forced-Change-Cris ... 1459727843

Christopher Furlotte
Christopher Furlotte

September 28th, 2014, 11:04 pm #2

Having read this book a long time ago, it address's many issues of the era, and it makes depressing reading but a primer for the looking at the many issues that faced the CF and Canadian Army during it's 'decade of darkness!' (Post Cold War era)1990-2000.

http://www.amazon.ca/Tarnished-Brass-Co ... 1895555930 (Lots of interesting reviews on the bottom of this page.)

http://espritdecorps.ca/shop/tarnished- ... n-military

Chris

A.J. Lockard
A.J. Lockard

September 30th, 2014, 7:58 pm #3

The reviews of Tarnished Brass at the amazon site are anonymous and seem to be of little worth in that respect alone, though also noteworthy is the fact they are either 1-star reviews, or 5-star reviews, with no apparent middle ground between the various axe-grinders.

More interesting is this comparison done by Duane Bratt, Chair and Professor in the Department of Policy Studies at Mount Royal University:

http://journals.hil.unb.ca/index.php/JC ... 1758/12537

He compares Dr. David Bercuson's book "Significant Incident" with Scott Taylor's book and though this is a brief essay (not even two pages) has some interesting things to say about the different methodologies used in writing the two books.

Christopher Furlotte
Christopher Furlotte

October 1st, 2014, 4:02 am #4

AJ,
Thanks for posting that article as I 'really enjoyed' reading it and it confirmed as to much I've already have read or learned on this topic regarding the Canadian Army in the last 45 years or so! Gerald Porter wrote a book written during the post-unification era, which was very traumatic in it's self ie, as it almost destroyed the traditional regimental system, and caused all sorts of problems.

The book is titled: In Retreat,Canadian Forces in the Trudeau Years. circa 1978. Author Gerald Porter.Publishers Deneau & Greenberg. It's a must read for those who want to understand where I believe it all started with the CF going down hill from the late 1960's onwards.

I've stumbled across this article from Esprit de Corps on the CF, who treated it better Harper or Trudeau. I was very surprised by this article! It might surprise viewers on this topic!

http://espritdecorps.ca/commentary/2014 ... hen-harper

Chris

October 1st, 2014, 11:57 pm #5

I stopped reading here:

Steven Harper, in spite of his incessant rhetoric in support of the military, never served a day in uniform. Pierre Trudeau, as a young healthy man in the 1940s, was conscripted into the Canadian Army Reserve under the National Resources Mobilization Act. Though Trudeau’s brief, rudimentary and part-time service was as far from heroic as one might have imagined, it was military service nonetheless and would have made Trudeau a military veteran today. Harper never has — and never will — earn this right.

I thought the article might start talking about how the Trudeau government was responsible for providing Leopard tanks as part of Canada's NATO commitment, replacing the aging Centurions, or other items of substance.

What I read was the rubbish above, instead.

Trudeau stayed in Canada during the Second World War very comfortably, as an NRMA conscript. The trouble I have with that is that the military was very actively seeking officers like Trudeau to serve overseas since as most will realize, there was something of a war going on at the time. And not just any war, but a world war which Canada felt a large stake in. Large enough to raise three divisions for home defence, and conscript people like Mr. Trudeau in the first place.

Either way, though, I don't buy into the notion that an elected official needs to serve in the military to make public policy decisions related to the military any more than I think the principal of a high school needs to have been a janitor in order to be able to tell the housekeeping staff to clean up vomit in a classroom with a clear conscience. Prime Ministers rely on unelected experts to guide them, including the Chief of the Defence Staff as well as the civilian staff of the Department of National Defence. The Prime Minister is ultimately responsible for decisions - but really, power resides in a number of places, and technically I suppose we could involve the Governor General as commander-in-chief or even H.M. Queen Elizabeth if we wanted to.

But the petty sniping about this or that prime minister not having served in uniform? What nonsense. It's their job to pick experts and then rely on their expertise. I'd be very worried indeed about any elected official who claimed to have personal knowledge and expertise about every facet of modern life.

And at what level of the military must one serve before they are considered prime ministerial? Do we really think Mr. Trudeau's time as a Zombie in the Second World War elevated his knowledge of foreign affairs? Reportedly he wore a German helmet and rode a motorcycle to parade during this period, as part of his disdain for his military service. I've not seen that in a reputable source, but would not be surprised to read that it is true. And either way, what would it say about his ability to be Prime Minister 25 or 40 years later?
Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com

April 5th, 2018, 12:27 pm #6

Christopher Furlotte wrote: AJ,
    Thanks for posting that article as I 'really enjoyed' reading it and it confirmed as to much I've already have read or learned on this topic regarding the Canadian Army in the last 45 years or so! Gerald Porter wrote a book written during the post-unification era, which was very traumatic in it's self ie, as it almost destroyed the traditional regimental system, and caused all sorts of problems.

The book is titled: In Retreat,Canadian Forces in the Trudeau Years. circa 1978. Author Gerald Porter.Publishers Deneau & Greenberg. It's a must read for those who want to understand where I believe it all started with the CF going down hill from the late 1960's onwards.

I've stumbled across this article from Esprit de Corps on the CF, who treated it better Harper or Trudeau. I was very surprised by this article! It might surprise viewers on this topic!

http://espritdecorps.ca/commentary/2014 ... hen-harper

Chris
Stumbled across this discussion in a web search - out of date now, but thanks Chris for this article recommendation. Very interesting to compare and contrast the styles of the two Trudeaus.