New Medal for Canadian Casualties

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

New Medal for Canadian Casualties

J.Garnier
J.Garnier

August 29th, 2008, 9:18 pm #1

just issued news item from the GG office.
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2008/08/ ... ml?ref=rss

August 29th, 2008, 9:28 pm #2

Interesting, but not really germaine to this forum. Given the idiotic comments at the CBC website talking about "second class war veterans" I'm reluctant to let this stay unlocked, but if someone can see a way this relates to this forum, I'm willing to give it a chance.
Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com

August 29th, 2008, 9:53 pm #3

I left the following at the CBC site:

Historically, wounded Canadian soldiers have been recognized by the Wound Stripe. There was never a need for a medal before and it seems disappointing to see this now, as it will become politicized due to its introduction during a controversial military action. It would have been better to have introduced it during peacetime, if at all. Some of the comments thus far have been quite ignorant. Being wounded in battle is not an achievement, nor anything to be ashamed of. The Wound Stripe was always something optional for the soldier to consider wearing - it was not something he could be compelled to wear. One wonders if that will be same with this medal. It was generally felt physical injuries were not something to be sought, but we are now learning they are not something to be hidden away, either. If only we could learn also the same holds true for mental disabilities inflicted during military service. I don't imagine any medals, ribbons or badges will be promulgated anytime soon for sufferers of PTSD or similar afflictions, however. It would be unfortunate if this only furthers the gap between public and military perception of "honourable" disabilities suffered in action, and what is now perceived as "shameful" disability brought on by exposure to stress or the natural result of experiences on the battlefield.
Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

August 29th, 2008, 11:31 pm #4

I find this latest piece of news 'interesting' how the start date just happens to coincide with operations in Afghanistan and that to get the medal you have to be recommended by a Commanding Officer. I take that to mean the presentation of the medal is not automatic and does this mean that it retroactive to all of those wounded or killed since October 2001, or do they have to be recommended?

Will numerals be instituted for wear on the ribbon for those who have sustained more than one wound?

Using an iconic image from the Vimy Memorial is also interesting considering casualties prior to 2001 are excluded from the award.

I know a small number of people who have sustained wounds while on operations and none of them wear or want to wear a wound stripe as they really do not want the extra attention drawn to them. Seems that if recommended for this new award that they will now have to wear a medal to highlight that they were injured.

August 30th, 2008, 12:37 am #5

Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com

Clive M. Law - Service Publications
Clive M. Law - Service Publications

August 30th, 2008, 1:24 am #6

I am really sorry to see this. Most soldiers with whom I have discussed this are not in agreement with a "Canadian Purple Heart". In fact, support for this has mostly come from civilians who know little of military life. Ed has already talked about a medal that highlights a wound or injury that perhaps the recipient would prefer not be highlighted while I have always wondered about the logic of awarding a medal to Canadian soldiers because because of an action by an enemy soldier. In any event, it is a medal that I hope is not issued too often.

Christopher Furlotte
Christopher Furlotte

August 30th, 2008, 1:57 am #7

Clive, I couldn't agree with you more on this topic. I find this just another step towards Americanization of our military, a little bit at a time etc,. What was wrong with issuing wounded stripes to Canadian soldiers, which were wounded in active service!?

Here's a some information on this topic. (Wounded Stripes)

http://toyoufromfailinghands.blogspot.c ... tripe.html

Chris

John Maybin
John Maybin

August 30th, 2008, 2:08 am #8

I hate to be so cynical, but we have all seen this before. Notice the timing of the announcement - on a Friday before a long weekend. That's usually the time governments release information they hope no one notices and ensures there's no staff available to answer press inquiries.

It would have been more fitting to stay with the wound stripe as it already has an almost 100 year-old tradition in Canada.

wilbur peaman
wilbur peaman

August 30th, 2008, 4:07 am #9

This site is to be commended for even gently broaching this issue. The nonsense that I often read here and at other sites about military honors, heroism and simple recognition being reflected in medals, badges and patches is simply silly. At the time of most actions nobody cares about this kind or type of recognition and in any institution these rewards become politicized for the benefit of the elites and the leaders. Before you give your life for some cause always remember that it is wealthy, the very rich, and the economically influential that benefit from wars rather than the men and women of the working classes that have to bare the outdated notions of valor, duty, and the contribution to the well being of society. Unfortunately, these outdated notions are as alive today in Afghanistan as they were in the Bore War.

Bill A
Bill A

August 30th, 2008, 10:39 am #10

The scene in Band of Brothers about the Purple Heart sums up the irony of a "medal" for being wounded or killed in service.