New Book on the CEF - A Nation in Making

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

New Book on the CEF - A Nation in Making

Clive M. Law - Service Publications

February 18th, 2012, 2:01 pm #1

Service Publications is pleased to announce the release of "A Nation in Making" This important new book provides an in-depth examination of the organization and administration of the Canadian Expeditionary Force. Written by David W. Love this work spans two volumes and over 400 pages of informative text.

The Canadian Expeditionary Force was the largest military force ever fielded by Canada in its day. The management of this force of five divisions, with four in the field, was a challenge to Canada's predominantly amateur Staff. Borrowing heavily from British practice the Canadians nonetheless had specific challenges that were theirs alone.

David Love has adroitly described the organization and administration of the CEF and delves into a level of detail previously unimaginable. Divided into two hard cover volumes and exceeding 400 pages of descriptive text this title is a 'must have' for the historian, amateur or professional, of Canadian military history.

410pp, 391 illustrations, maps, charts and tables and three full colour pages of Distinguishing Patches. 8 1/2 x 11 hardcover.

$89.95/set - Price shown is in Canadian dollars. US buyers - Your credit card provider and/or Paypal will automatically convert your purchase to US dollars.

Please note that this title will only be sold as a set consisting of Volumes 1 and 2.

February 18th, 2012, 2:32 pm #2

My order is in!

February 18th, 2012, 4:40 pm #3

I already own A CALL TO ARMS by the same author, which is a "must have" in my opinion.

I don't want to pay a lot of money to acquire the same information - can you give some details of how the two works complement each other?
Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com

February 18th, 2012, 5:21 pm #4

Michael,

I'm wondering the exact same thing. Even the subtitle is the same as Love's original work.

And I agree it's a 'must have' for those with an interest in The Great War and the CEF.

Cheers,
Dan.

February 18th, 2012, 5:28 pm #5

Service Publications is pleased to announce the release of "A Nation in Making" This important new book provides an in-depth examination of the organization and administration of the Canadian Expeditionary Force. Written by David W. Love this work spans two volumes and over 400 pages of informative text.

The Canadian Expeditionary Force was the largest military force ever fielded by Canada in its day. The management of this force of five divisions, with four in the field, was a challenge to Canada's predominantly amateur Staff. Borrowing heavily from British practice the Canadians nonetheless had specific challenges that were theirs alone.

David Love has adroitly described the organization and administration of the CEF and delves into a level of detail previously unimaginable. Divided into two hard cover volumes and exceeding 400 pages of descriptive text this title is a 'must have' for the historian, amateur or professional, of Canadian military history.

410pp, 391 illustrations, maps, charts and tables and three full colour pages of Distinguishing Patches. 8 1/2 x 11 hardcover.

$89.95/set - Price shown is in Canadian dollars. US buyers - Your credit card provider and/or Paypal will automatically convert your purchase to US dollars.

Please note that this title will only be sold as a set consisting of Volumes 1 and 2.

There is significantly more information in this title than in the other with over 400 pages of text and tables. Additionally, the production values are much higher - hard cover, printed vice Xeroxed, colour pages, etc....

February 18th, 2012, 11:05 pm #6

Looking forward to this then; my copy of CALL TO ARMS was getting pretty dog-eared.
Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com

February 29th, 2012, 3:08 am #7

My order is in!
Arrived today ... many thanks!

Anonymous
Anonymous

February 29th, 2012, 3:24 pm #8

Looking forward to this then; my copy of CALL TO ARMS was getting pretty dog-eared.
I have the new volumes of Birth of a Nation, and it is a remarkable improvement. Well done David Love. Thanks Service Publications for making this quality reference.
If one has any interest in Canadian military history, insignia, equipment, the CEF, or the First World War and Canada, this is a must have reference.

Bill a
Bill a

February 29th, 2012, 3:25 pm #9

The above message was not a testimonial by Clive,,,I forgot to add my name to the post.