Need to hire a researcher in Ottawa - anyone interested?

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

Need to hire a researcher in Ottawa - anyone interested?

March 6th, 2007, 7:11 am #1

Gents - my dad's birthday is in May. I was hoping to write a history of his old unit, the 64th (Yorkton) Field Battery by the middle of April to present to him.

The regiment was formed in 1936 as a reorg of The Yorkton Regiment.

It served in the 17th Field Brigade. During the war, an active battery was formed and served in the 21st Field Regiment of the 6th Divisional Artillery, and shipped to the UK in 1943 where it was disbanded.

It later served in the 53rd Field Regiment, RCA until 1968 when it transferred to the 10th Field Regiment where it still serves today.

I do have the GOs regarding the formation of the original battery and its wartime active battery.

I have several questions though and could use some help.

a) I found the War Diary of the active battery which existed from 1941-1943 in the national archives. How would I go about getting someone to photocopy this for me?

b) I contacted the RCA Museum and the Battery directly in Yorkton with some questions but have not heard back. Perhaps someone here can answer?

I can find no information on the 53rd Field Regiment and would like to know:
i) When was the 53rd Field Regiment formed?
ii) Where was it headquartered
iii) What were its component sub-units?
iv) What date was it disbanded
v) What date did 64th (Yorkton) Field Battery transfer to command of 10th Field Regiment?

In 1941, when a 64th (Yorkton) Field Battery was mobilized, did this in fact create two separate units with the same name - one in the Canadian Army (Reserve) and a second in the Canadian Army (Active)? Or did the battery in Yorkton cease to exist when the Active unit was created?

c) I am using Nicholson's GUNNERS OF CANADA for research also but it is lean on details of postwar artillery life. Does the Directorate of History and Heritage maintain files on individual units? I know that Commanding Officers submit historical accounts annually to NDHQ with numbers, equipment etc. Would someone be able to locate these for me at DHH? Stuff I am interested in are:

A list of the Commanding Officers of the 64th (Yorkton) Field Battery from 1936 to present; a list of Battery Sergeants Major of the battery for the same time frame; the date that the 25-pounders were turned in; the date that C1 and later C3 howitzers were issued; how many; what type of gun tractors were used (if indeed the battery had its own equipment).

d) I have consulted COURAGE AND SERVICE and see no decorations awarded to members of the 64th Battery during the Second World War. Have there been any awards in the postwar era (ie the MMM, OMM, etc.)? How would I find out?

I am also looking for images of the Yorkton Armoury. I see the national archives have a file on the building of the armoury, but I don't think it is on fiche? Again, if there is a way to get a researcher to copy the file, how would i do that?

I did look up the battery in THE MAPLE LEAF and at the COMBAT CAMERA websites and found great photos and articles of their history for recent years, so that is no problem. I have photos of my dad's service 1955-1957, and Nicholson talks a bit about the summer concentrations my dad was at.

If anybody has any other interesting info related to THE YORKTON REGIMENT 1921-1936 (including photos of insignia or uniforms) as well as the 64th (Yorkton) Field Battery, I'd be very interested.

I'd be most pleased if someone could direct me to a way to get the War Diary copies as that would, I think, be my priority at the moment. Pity I didn't think of it when I was out there.

These are the details of the first box:

64th (Yorkton) Field Battery, Royal Canadian Artillery: see also War Diary of 21st Field Regiment, Royal Canadian Artillery for Diaries from December 1941 to February 1943
File Part of: War diaries
Date(s): 1941/08-1941/12
Conditions of Access Textual records
(Volume) 14550 90: Open

Finding aid no.

24-60

Reference Numbers
Former archival reference no.: RG24-C-3
Volume: 14550

File no. (creator): 812C

Additional Information
Subject heading

Serial
Série

Language of material

Undetermined

Source.

Government

Other system control no.:

FIND024/34531

MIKAN No.

Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com

Mark W. Tonner
Mark W. Tonner

March 6th, 2007, 2:02 pm #2

Hi Michael;

To answer your question: "In 1941, when a 64th (Yorkton) Field Battery was mobilized, did this in fact create two separate units with the same name - one in the Canadian Army (Reserve) and a second in the Canadian Army (Active)? Or did the battery in Yorkton cease to exist when the Active unit was created?"

Yes - when Serial 812C - 64th (Yorkton) Field Battery, R.C.A. - effective 29 Jul 41 was mobilized for Active Service, 64th (Reserve)(Yorkton) Field Battery, R.C.A. (M.D. 12) - wef approx. 29 Jul 41 came into being. 64th (Reserve)(Yorkton) Field Battery, R.C.A. was eventually converted and redesignated 64th Heavy Anti-Aircraft Battery, R.C.A. (M.D. 12) under G.O. 115/46 - effective 1 Apr 46.

53rd Heavy Anti-Aircraft Regiment, R.C.A. (as at 1 Jul 48):

Headquarters, 53rd Heavy Anti-Aircraft Regiment, R.C.A. - Yorktown, SK
64th Heavy Anti-Aircraft Battery, R.C.A. - Yorkton and Foam Lake, SK
162nd Heavy Anti-Aircraft Battery, R.C.A. - Melville and Saltcoats, SK
202nd Heavy Anti-Aircraft Battery, R.C.A. - Canora, SK

I'll see what else I can find later today.

Cheers

Mark

March 6th, 2007, 2:22 pm #3

The 53rd and component 64 (Yorkton) Battery were redesignated as field artillery at some point - Dad was a 25-pounder gunner.

Thanks for this, it has as always been invaluable. I still have your draft notes on writing Active Service- my site has been down so much due to techinical difficulties I've been having trouble doing updates.

EDIT - at some point also, "E" Troop was formed in Canora - that was my dad's troop. Would love to find out other troop organizations but I suspect that would not be in GOs.
Last edited by dorosh on March 6th, 2007, 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com

Mark W. Tonner
Mark W. Tonner

March 6th, 2007, 6:14 pm #4

Gents - my dad's birthday is in May. I was hoping to write a history of his old unit, the 64th (Yorkton) Field Battery by the middle of April to present to him.

It served in the 17th Field Brigade. During the war, an active battery was formed and served in the 21st Field Regiment of the 6th Divisional Artillery, and shipped to the UK in 1943 where it was disbanded.

It later served in the 53rd Field Regiment, RCA until 1968 when it transferred to the 10th Field Regiment where it still serves today.

I do have the GOs regarding the formation of the original battery and its wartime active battery.

a) I found the War Diary of the active battery which existed from 1941-1943 in the national archives. How would I go about getting someone to photocopy this for me?

b) I contacted the RCA Museum and the Battery directly in Yorkton with some questions but have not heard back. Perhaps someone here can answer?

v) What date did 64th (Yorkton) Field Battery transfer to command of 10th Field Regiment?

In 1941, when a 64th (Yorkton) Field Battery was mobilized, did this in fact create two separate units with the same name - one in the Canadian Army (Reserve) and a second in the Canadian Army (Active)? Or did the battery in Yorkton cease to exist when the Active unit was created?

c) I am using Nicholson's GUNNERS OF CANADA for research also but it is lean on details of postwar artillery life. Does the Directorate of History and Heritage maintain files on individual units? I know that Commanding Officers submit historical accounts annually to NDHQ with numbers, equipment etc. Would someone be able to locate these for me at DHH? Stuff I am interested in are:

A list of the Commanding Officers of the 64th (Yorkton) Field Battery from 1936 to present; a list of Battery Sergeants Major of the battery for the same time frame; the date that the 25-pounders were turned in; the date that C1 and later C3 howitzers were issued; how many; what type of gun tractors were used (if indeed the battery had its own equipment).

d) I have consulted COURAGE AND SERVICE and see no decorations awarded to members of the 64th Battery during the Second World War. Have there been any awards in the postwar era (ie the MMM, OMM, etc.)? How would I find out?

I am also looking for images of the Yorkton Armoury. I see the national archives have a file on the building of the armoury, but I don't think it is on fiche? Again, if there is a way to get a researcher to copy the file, how would i do that?

I did look up the battery in THE MAPLE LEAF and at the COMBAT CAMERA websites and found great photos and articles of their history for recent years, so that is no problem. I have photos of my dad's service 1955-1957, and Nicholson talks a bit about the summer concentrations my dad was at.

If anybody has any other interesting info related to THE YORKTON REGIMENT 1921-1936 (including photos of insignia or uniforms) as well as the 64th (Yorkton) Field Battery, I'd be very interested.

I'd be most pleased if someone could direct me to a way to get the War Diary copies as that would, I think, be my priority at the moment. Pity I didn't think of it when I was out there.

64th (Yorkton) Field Battery, Royal Canadian Artillery: see also War Diary of 21st Field Regiment, Royal Canadian Artillery for Diaries from December 1941 to February 1943

Finding aid no.

24-60

Reference Numbers

Additional Information
Subject heading

Serial
Série

Language of material

Undetermined

Source.

Government

FIND024/34531

MIKAN No.

Hi Michael;

Just a note regarding the N.P.A.M./Reserve component of the 64th (Yorkton) Field Battery, RCA from 3 Sep 39 to 1 Apr 46.

- the battery was a component part of the 17th Field Brigade, RCA until it was transferred to the 40th (Reserve) Field Regiment, RCA wef 1 Apr 42 (G.O. 283/42) and remained a component battery of the 40th (Reserve) Field Regiment until the 40th itself was disbanded effective 31 Mar 46 (G.O. 113/46) and the battery itself was converted and redesignated HAA effective 1 Apr 46 (G.O. 115/46).

Cheers

Mark

GrantR Medicine Hat AB
GrantR Medicine Hat AB

March 7th, 2007, 8:21 pm #5

Finding aid no.

24-60

Reference Numbers

Additional Information
Subject heading

Serial
Série

Language of material

Undetermined

Source.

Government

FIND024/34531

MIKAN No.

I have used a fellow to whom I was referred by Donald Klancher(one of the authors of "Arms & Accoutrements of the Mounted Police" etc.) If you are interested, I can pass his contact info on to you (I am not at home at the moment, to do so now.)

He was prompt, thorough and his charges seemed quite reasonable to me.

Michael Dorosh
Michael Dorosh

March 7th, 2007, 10:10 pm #6

I did get one generous offer of help, but I'd like his contact info anyway for future reference. Thanks very much!

Mike

Floyd
Floyd

March 8th, 2007, 1:50 am #7

I have used a fellow to whom I was referred by Donald Klancher(one of the authors of "Arms & Accoutrements of the Mounted Police" etc.) If you are interested, I can pass his contact info on to you (I am not at home at the moment, to do so now.)

He was prompt, thorough and his charges seemed quite reasonable to me.
Hi Michael

We do this type of work in support of our WW1 Website www.54thbattalioncef.ca

I have ordered the war diary to see how much is there.

Plan would be to snap the file and war diary with a digital camera in very high quality and send it to you on CD.

Shouldn't be too much.

I'll advise a price when I see it and we can go from there.

Best regards

Floyd
Ottawa

GrantR, Medicine Hat, AB
GrantR, Medicine Hat, AB

March 8th, 2007, 1:56 am #8

I did get one generous offer of help, but I'd like his contact info anyway for future reference. Thanks very much!

Mike
Michael ....

Might as well post it here ... don't imagine that he'll mind the exposure, since I understand this is his "retirement job" ...

Arnold Kay
1866 Robinwood Place
Gloucester, ON K1C 6L7

His e-mail address (with "at" substituted for the @ sign) -
cef.research"at"rogers.com

Michael Dorosh
Michael Dorosh

March 8th, 2007, 2:16 am #9

Hi Michael

We do this type of work in support of our WW1 Website www.54thbattalioncef.ca

I have ordered the war diary to see how much is there.

Plan would be to snap the file and war diary with a digital camera in very high quality and send it to you on CD.

Shouldn't be too much.

I'll advise a price when I see it and we can go from there.

Best regards

Floyd
Ottawa
Awesome...I am not at home so I don't know if Colin contacted you? He's offered assistance also. Photos are preferable to photocopying since I hope that keeps the costs down?

I should also say thanks to all those who emailed me materials and have offered to do so - this site is a great resource.

March 8th, 2007, 11:46 pm #10

Finding aid no.

24-60

Reference Numbers

Additional Information
Subject heading

Serial
Série

Language of material

Undetermined

Source.

Government

FIND024/34531

MIKAN No.

Authorized as "53rd Heavy Anti-Aircraft Regiment, RCA" on 1 Apr 1946 (GO 114/46). Re-formed as "53rd Field Regiment, RCA" on 30 Jul 1954 (CAO 76-3, Part B, Supp Issue No. 432/55). Redesignated "53rd Field Artillery Regiment, RCA" on 12 Apr 1960 (CAO 76-3, Issue 670 Part B dated 13 Jun 60) and transferred to the Supplementary Order of battle 15 Oct 1968 (CFOO 68/35 dated 24 Jul 68).

Headquarters was in Yorkton.

As 53 HAA - 64 (Yorkton), 162 (Melville) and 202 (location to be confirmed) HAA Batteries. As 53 Fd Regt - 64 Bty (Yorkton), 65 Bty (Grenfell), 76 Bty (Indian Head) and 162 Bty (Melville).

Not disbanded, transferred to the Supplementary Order of battle 15 Oct 1968 (CFOO 68/35 dated 24 Jul 68). This means that the unit still exists, but is not allocated any personnel or equipment.

15 October 1968 (CFOO 68/35 dated 24 Jul 1968)

FYI - thanks again for your help thus far!
Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com