Name that Badge (RCA version)

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

Name that Badge (RCA version)

February 3rd, 2007, 12:39 am #1

Gentlemen,

I have never seen this badge before or anything remotely similiar. While this is a post-war photo the badge is probably from a wartime unit or formation.

General H.D.G. Crerar attending an investiture in Winnipeg, Manitoba, 13 January 1946. (L-R) an unidentified Corporal of the RCASC; General Crerar; an unidentified Captain, probably RCA. PA-209539-v6.jpg

I'm refering to the black cloth badge on the Captain's left arm. It appears to be three witches flying upwards towards the photo's left. Can anyone identify?

This photo is from the LAC "Faces of War" online exhibit.

Dan.

Dave Hiorth
Dave Hiorth

February 3rd, 2007, 12:59 am #2

Without looking at my books which are at work I would say this is a British Anti Aircraft battery patch but I would have to get back to you tomorrow for confirmation on this

February 3rd, 2007, 1:02 am #3

I would suggest he is an Air OP pilot (being an artilleryman AND a pilot, what else could he be?) - don't know if the badge has to do with that, but Darrel Knight, an author who lives in town, is doing a book on the subject. Unless Dave or someone else has a different (better) answer, I can check with him.
Last edited by dorosh on February 3rd, 2007, 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com

Dave Hiorth
Dave Hiorth

February 3rd, 2007, 1:05 am #4

Probably you are correct but from my experience though limited by age I would say not as the only patch that was worn by glider pilots was the pegasus patch. I don't know everything but I will have a better answer tomorrow

Mark W. Tonner
Mark W. Tonner

February 3rd, 2007, 1:11 pm #5

Gentlemen,

I have never seen this badge before or anything remotely similiar. While this is a post-war photo the badge is probably from a wartime unit or formation.

General H.D.G. Crerar attending an investiture in Winnipeg, Manitoba, 13 January 1946. (L-R) an unidentified Corporal of the RCASC; General Crerar; an unidentified Captain, probably RCA. PA-209539-v6.jpg

I'm refering to the black cloth badge on the Captain's left arm. It appears to be three witches flying upwards towards the photo's left. Can anyone identify?

This photo is from the LAC "Faces of War" online exhibit.

Dan.
The only one that I've seen that comes close, is the one for the 2nd A.A. Division (ADGB):

[/IMG]

Haven't come across any with three witches.

Cheers

Mark

Bill
Bill

February 3rd, 2007, 2:39 pm #6

Another mystery. Here we have a fellow wearing two formation patches? Which as has been discussed on this board, is contrary to regs. (However the photo is dated Winnipeg January 1946 at an investiture. This may have made exercising any authority on dress questionable.)
There were two AA div patches that featured a witch, and are red witches on khaki or dark blue backgrounds. Both are 2 AA Div which only served in the UK. I have taken the image and enlarged it, but unfortunately the resolution of the original doesn't allow a clear image. I am not sure that we are looking at a witch.
Note that the captain appears to be wearing both the army air corps pilot wing and the 1st Cdn Army AGRA patches.

John Sliz
John Sliz

February 3rd, 2007, 3:24 pm #7

Could it be the 665 Air OP Squadron? Is that wings on his chest?

February 3rd, 2007, 4:08 pm #8

As I said already in this thread, it is very likely this is an Air OP Pilot, from one of the three RCAF OP squadrons. A fellow writer in the regiment here in Calgary is finishing a book on the three squadrons; I'll pass this photo on and see if it is familiar to him.
Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com

Dave Hiorth
Dave Hiorth

February 3rd, 2007, 9:00 pm #9

Cant find it no idea but I am sure it has something to do with AA

Ken Joyce
Ken Joyce

February 4th, 2007, 3:09 pm #10

As I said already in this thread, it is very likely this is an Air OP Pilot, from one of the three RCAF OP squadrons. A fellow writer in the regiment here in Calgary is finishing a book on the three squadrons; I'll pass this photo on and see if it is familiar to him.
This is not the only photo I have seen of this patch and noted that other members of this guys unit also wore these. Micheal, if your friend is interested in photos and some more info I have contacted a few of these fellows here in Ontario. I also have an interesting photo of one of the OR's wearing a - cut in half - Army Pilots Badge on the cuff of his BD. There are a few more shots of this fellow and his colleagues wearing this unusual patch. I also wonder if this fellow may have come from the UK and kept operating out of Rivers as part of the ARDC?? They continued training Army Pilots / Observers right after the war. My guess is that it might be some sort of unit patch specific to Army Pilots?

Ken